My female hates baby rabbits??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyBun25

Reaction score
So I know this may sound bizzar because baby rabbits have no hormones yet but I really do think my female bun hates baby rabbits and this is why. I have 3 rabbits total. My female is 3 years old, I have a male who is about 8 months old and also a recent adoption baby at 9 or 10 weeks old about.
Well when I first got my fist buck, he was 8 weeks old and she constantly wanted to attack him. She was free roam and he was in a temp cage (I free roam all animals. Not a fan of a cage unless needed) but she would try and attack him threw the bars, bit his ear and was constantly lunging at him and also us.. she wasn't happy at all. But then he hit puberty, his hormones kicked in and she became a calm bunny again. She would groom him and just love on him. We got him neutered and just waiting to bond them.
Now this new bunny, she's doing it all over again. Trying to attack the baby threw the bars of his cage but still being super sweet to the other male.
Anyone else have this problem with their bunny not liking babies? Is this normal and her just being territorial? My plan is to keep them seperated but able to see each other from a distance until he hits puberty and see if that helps them get use to each other. Also putting his scent from blankets or stuffed animals into her room.
Let me know if you have gone threw this!
Pics of my buns. Kota (broken magpie.. baby) Sora (black tort.. female) and Luffy (broken chocolate male)

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_191335.jpg
    IMG_20200710_191335.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200708_113332.jpg
    IMG_20200708_113332.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200625_123837.jpg
    IMG_20200625_123837.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 2
I would say after the neuter she no longer regonize him because he started to smell different. Girl rabbits are often really territorial but she will accept him later after she get use with him again. As she started to accept him before, it might just take time.

Normal. My does are territorial, any new rabbit on their turf can get chased at first encounter (that settles when the submissive rabbit backs up). Other does too, only exception is a buck when they are in the mood. My intact does do that when they accidently meet kits from the other group, and even my spayed house bunny did it when one of the kits ventured up the stairs into the front yard.
That's where bonding comes in.
My bucks, on the other hand, are completly chill about any kits they come across. No animosity, no pestering, just friendly.

Yup. Was going to say the same - that any "new" rabbit is (usually) going to be met with animosity by a female. Doesn't have to do with the new ones being babies, just the fact that they are new to the territory. She eventually got used to the male. It wasn't because he was now an adult but that she eventually decided to accept him.

On a separate note, what are your intentions now with this 3rd rabbit? Are you hoping to bond all three? Threesomes can be difficult if 2 of them are males as they may fight over the female. Also, it is better to introduce all three together at the same time. Bonding two and then trying to add the third is the least likely way to succeed. So may want to keep that in mind in the meantime.

My intension was to bond all 3. My plan was to get the third male neutered and bond the 2 males first and then bond them to the female unless it's easier to bond them all together.

I'd definitely suggest doing all 3 at the same time. A rescue had me take home 2 boys that got along well (but weren't officially bonded) so that they could both bond with my female. Ultimately, the boys ended up tornado -- fighting over the female. One had to be returned and the other I still have.

You can read more about bonding Groups and Trios here (you'll need to scroll way down for that title):
http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Latest posts

Back