My female gave birth!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetFalcon

Reaction score
So I saw my female bunny making a nest for the past week. It was kinda small, but nothing was there, so I thought nothing of it. Then about a week later, there was more fur in that same spot she made the nest. Then I check, see something moving, and see two baby bunnies! They are in their very first stages, naked furless bunnies and eyes aren't out yet.

I have scheduled to get my male neutered on Wednesday, but I guess he got her pregnant faster than I expected. She is about 4 months old, so that's why I started to get a scheduled in by the vet office that does neutering. But I guess the male had some fun with her before I could get him neutered.

My two bunnies are in my avatar. The female is tan, the male is brown (bigger).

upload_2019-9-29_22-8-23.png

Hi,

Congratulations :D

I guess the question is moot, but you did seperate the buck before she gave birth, right?

Hi,

Congratulations :D

I guess the question is moot, but you did seperate the buck before she gave birth, right?

Well, I don't exactly know when she gave birth. So technically the buck was still around when she did give birth. I just found out today, but I usually don't look inside their cage (since they free roam the balcony and most their food / water is outside. They could have been born a few days ago (when I found out on 9/29).

But yeah where should I put the buck? He is getting neutered on Wednesday. I guess I was too late on holding off on getting him neutered, I thought 4 months old was still too young, thinking it was like a 10-14 yr old human, but then I guess bunnies don't have age of consent like humans do. I thought 6-8 months was sexual maturity, like an adult, but I guess I was thinking too much like adult in human terms. Not like a pre-teen who is not an adult, but still can have babies.

Well, I don't exactly know when she gave birth. So technically the buck was still around when she did give birth. I just found out today, but I usually don't look inside their cage (since they free roam the balcony and most their food / water is outside. They could have been born a few days ago (when I found out on 9/29).

But yeah where should I put the buck? He is getting neutered on Wednesday. I guess I was too late on holding off on getting him neutered, I thought 4 months old was still too young, thinking it was like a 10-14 yr old human, but then I guess bunnies don't have age of consent like humans do. I thought 6-8 months was sexual maturity, like an adult, but I guess I was thinking too much like adult in human terms. Not like a pre-teen who is not an adult, but still can have babies.

Don't be too hard on yourself, bunnies reach Sexual maturity between 3-6 months, and neutering/spaying is not usually performed before that, so there was really no other precaution you could have taken apart from separating them. As for now, separate them until he heals from the neutering.

Well, as I said in the other thread, that age conversion isn't helpful, in reality it's grossly nonlinear. Bucks of small breeds can be fertile as soon as 9-10 weeks, does 11-14 weeks. On the other end, they stay fertile all their lives, theoreticly, it takes a greater toll on old does.

Unfortunatly, rabbits are awfully horny after the doe gives birth, so be prepared for another litter4 weeks later.

Don't be too hard on yourself, bunnies reach Sexual maturity between 3-6 months, and neutering/spaying is not usually performed before that, so there was really no other precaution you could have taken apart from separating them. As for now, separate them until he heals from the neutering.

I just took my male to get neutered. What could happen if I don't seperate? Is it because he can still impregnant the female?

When they open eyes it will be day 9 or 10 so you can do your maths then. Also if you post some pics here we can help you as babies are changing very fast so you could definitely tell was it day 1 or day 5

In your video they look like 2-3 days old so I would say born 27th or 28th September

5D1B8168-714A-4E7C-A5AC-7A1C28A0D8B1.jpeg 21A1BE8F-1519-45A9-8C84-C7EFF9491B1F.jpeg This is my most recent picture. Took this around 11am on 10/3/19. Of the babies, I started seeing their color last night around 12-2am.

the other pic is the parents for reference to see what genes were inherited.

They'll be very pretty, just watch them when they open eyes will be day 9 or 10. With some exceptions of course but generally works. Different breeds some are faster some slower it is hard to say now bt quite easy to tell day 1 or day 2 because day one their skin and bellies will tell you. Now started growing fur and after they open their eyes will start exploring territory, sometimes escaping their nestbox.

You can check if there's much pee in their nest maybe change the bottom add some absorbing material like wood pellets, cover with shredded paper and hay and put some fur on it and the top of their nest so it will look as it was before just will be nce and dry inside.

They'll be very pretty, just watch them when they open eyes will be day 9 or 10. With some exceptions of course but generally works. Different breeds some are faster some slower it is hard to say now bt quite easy to tell day 1 or day 2 because day one their skin and bellies will tell you. Now started growing fur and after they open their eyes will start exploring territory, sometimes escaping their nestbox.

You can check if there's much pee in their nest maybe change the bottom add some absorbing material like wood pellets, cover with shredded paper and hay and put some fur on it and the top of their nest so it will look as it was before just will be nce and dry inside.

Can I add additional bedding? Maybe cotton balls? Is it natural enough for them to be in?

In your video there's lots of fur that's enough in my opinion if you have their natural fur just keep it, as I said you can gently remove the top of nest and put it back on new clean box, it would be better if mother rabbit is somewhere and can't see it, you can add some cotton wool if you want, I would use their original fur.
After you make changes put the box in where their nest was originally so changes looked minimal, same lace, same fur, same hay around so less stress for mother

They look like they'll be very pretty babies :) ones a tortoiseshell dutch pattern, the other a fawn. They look very healthy and she hasn't rejected them, so that's very good considering she's 4 months old. My only piece of advice would be once they both hit about 12 weeks, be careful as all 4 of your rabbits will start mounting each other then, especially if one of them is a boy, he will very likely start to try mounting his mother
~ Ellie

They look like they'll be very pretty babies :) ones a tortoiseshell dutch pattern, the other a fawn. They look very healthy and she hasn't rejected them, so that's very good considering she's 4 months old. My only piece of advice would be once they both hit about 12 weeks, be careful as all 4 of your rabbits will start mounting each other then, especially if one of them is a boy, he will very likely start to try mounting his mother
~ Ellie
I love the brown / white one. The color is starting to set in and they got a layer of fur now. I just put them on my bed and petted them for 10-20 min. They are so cute, I almost feel maybe I’ll keep them.

I can’t wait to take them to the park. When can they interact with gentle kids? I want them to be durable and get them used to people so they grow up tame, which will make them easier to adopt or to keep for myself.

Is 4 bunnies gonna be harder than 2? Or what about 3 bunnies?

Now their one week old. Oct 6 about 4am
7B163138-7D41-4D4B-8866-B95AB58395E8.jpeg 65CE1F49-7B06-4A92-9007-995FA09B63CD.jpeg

Personally, I wouldn’t take them out around kids until after they’re weaned...6-8 weeks old. They should open their eyes at 10-14 days and then they’ll be more active.

Personally, I wouldn’t take them out around kids until after they’re weaned...6-8 weeks old. They should open their eyes at 10-14 days and then they’ll be more active.

So should they just keep staying in their nest until week 6-8?

They are now one week old. And does the mom have to stay or can I take her out to the park? I mean I never seen her attend her babies much, or even feed them. But I’m sure she does since they’re still alive and healthy because I’m not intervening much.

Like how will I know when they can eat normal bunny food?

Latest posts

Back