My doe has a broken leg.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jung

Reaction score
My rabbit was outside to exercise but when I came to let her go inside the cage, her left front leg was stuck in the tiny hole of the fence. Also her lip was bleeding as well as her other leg. The fence was made out of steel, so it was quite heavy too. Anyway, when I tried to get her leg out of the hole, she jumped around which made things worse. When I finally got her leg out of the hole, her paw was facing the other side and she always lift her injured leg when she walk around. I'm guessing she got surprised when she got too close to another doe's cage and got bitten or something.
I put her into the small box with hays and some food and water but I don't know what to do.

I did research about the treatment and it said take it to the vet or some website said, They took him to another vet who wrapped the leg and it ended up healing very well.
So what should I do? From my knowledge, the surgery will cost well above $1000 and it's quite a lot of money. Should I try to wrap her leg so that it stops from getting worse or should I take it to the vet?
By the way, she is about 1 year and a 7 month.

Taking your rabbit to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet right away, is the only way to find out how severe the injury is. Then the vet can advise you as to what your options are and what the costs will be. After that it's up to you to decide how to proceed.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Taking your rabbit to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet right away, is the only way to find out how severe the injury is. Then the vet can advise you as to what your options are and what the costs will be. After that it's up to you to decide how to proceed.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Do you have to pay for the checks or not?

Usually yes, you do have to pay for an office visit, then any medications, xrays, surgery, would be additional costs. What everything will cost all depends on the individual vet. I suggest you find experienced rabbit vets near you and call them to find out what they will charge for the office visit, etc.

Usually yes, you do have to pay for an office visit, then any medications, xrays, surgery, would be additional costs. What everything will cost all depends on the individual vet. I suggest you find experienced rabbit vets near you and call them to find out what they will charge for the office visit, etc.
Thank you so much. I will take the photo of her broken leg tomorrow and add it on this post. Can you see it and give me any of your thoughts?

I completely agree, even a vet couldn’t diagnose the break from a photo. You need to take her to a vet ASAP, imagine the pain she is in while you delay it.

Latest posts

Back