My doe doesn’t take of the kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan

Reaction score
South Africa Johannesburg Soweto Pimville
Hi
My doe doesn’t take of the kits, what can I do to make it look after it’s kids or can I take over and mother them.

This morning I woke up around nine am and there were seven kits and two were lifeless. I took the them to another cage as she stayed with three other bunnies in that one but throughout the whole day I didn’t see her taking care of them, she even steps on them.

Attachments

• 3E597ED0-FD09-428A-A201-A7F6C029EBFB.jpeg
    3E597ED0-FD09-428A-A201-A7F6C029EBFB.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 23
Hi. This box is too small, and she needs more food and water, she's probably stressed and doesn't have milk because doesn't eat enough. What do you feed her normally, she should have unlimited pellets and plenty of water, unlimited hay or grass as well.

Rabbits feed their kits only once a day for 3-5 minutes and that's enough that is if she has enough food and water to produce milk.

This box is unsuitable, she is probably stressed and can step on kits in panic attack.

Definitely WAY too little space - she needs a bigger enclosure and an actual nestbox (but definitely don't put them back in with other rabbits).

She needs unlimited hay (I can't tell, is that straw or hay that's in there?), constant access to water and extra (or even unlimited) pellets. As a pregnant or nursing doe, she can even have legume hay like alfalfa or clover instead of or in addition to grass hay (legume hays have more protein and calcium, which moms and kits need). If she isn't getting the proper nutrition, she won't be able to make enough super-rich milk to feed the kits.

One tip I can give is not to hover over her or check on her too often. I can stress her out and may make her more inclined to neglect her kits. Also if she seems like she is stepping on them it mighty be her trying to get into position to feed her kits.

As they've said that box is entirely unsuitable for rabbits (it is too small and doesn't give enough air flow). The kits should also be on top of soft hay (that they can bury themselves into to stay warm) and not a blanket. Mother rabbits often only care for rabbits once or twice a day, for only a couple minutes (avoiding the babies as much as possible is their strategy to keep predators away - the rabbit nest stays hidden better if the mother ignores it), but if wouldn't surprise me if she were neglecting the babies because she was stressed about her environment. Make sure she has unlimited food and water.

Latest posts

Back