My Doe died suddenly, kits are 26 days. Please advice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy.ears

Reaction score
She was just fine, eating, drinking, pooping, nursing... all of the sudden I heard a noise (they sleep next to my room so I can watch them) I went to see and she was laying dead on her cage. My heart is broken and I am very worried for the babies, I have 2 other does that gave birth 15 days ago, should I use them to nurse them? They are already eating pellets and drinking water.

So sorry for the loss of your doe.
You can use the other does to nurse them until they are fully weaned at 8 weeks if they dont mind ( they usually dont if you slip in some more kits while they nurse their own kits but still as precaution keep an eye on them..)

They are almost 4 weeks already, they should be ok on their own now. You can supplement their diet with some soaked kitchen oatmeal or rolled oats, I guess you could mix in some kitten replacement milk, but I don't think it's necessary.
Additional to their normal pellets you can offer them soaked ones, just to see what they like better.

I would not foster those kits to other does at this age, that could cause more problems than what it's worth, unless your does are very chill about it.
My two does live together, but the one with the younger litter (2 weeks difference) is very protective about her nest and milk and chases the older kits off if they try to raid the buffet.

I agree. Better not to foster them as it will deprive the younger babies. If they're eating solid food well, I would just stick with that. If you have a good quality grass hay(horse quality, no mold) available to you, I would offer that as well. Good grass hay can make the transition to solid food less problematic.

I agree. Better not to foster them as it will deprive the younger babies. If they're eating solid food well, I would just stick with that. If you have a good quality grass hay(horse quality, no mold) available to you, I would offer that as well. Good grass hay can make the transition to solid food less problematic.
Yes, they are eating hay too. Is called pangola, is the hay that is fed to horses in my country and what I give to my rabbits.

Latest posts

Back