My controversial bonding success story!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeanutsPlace

Reaction score
Hello all!
I thought I would share my personal experience with bonding. I have a male bunny named Peanut, a mix, born November 15 2020, and a bunny named Honey, a Dwarf Hotot, born June 2 2021. For some background information, When we began to bond Honey and Peanut she was just a mere 8 weeks old. We got her from a friend who had pure breed dwarf hotots. She’s amazing with rabbits and very knowledgeable about them. So while on vacation she’s the person I give my bunnies too. She slowly introduced them and peanut adored baby honey. (Not hormones I believe as he was neutered in april of 2021, this was in August of the same year) They flopped next to eachother from day one, he loved to groom her. By the end of the week they were spending the whole time togeather as a form of marathon bonding. We took them in a carrier and the ride was 45 minutes so that definitely helped there bonding. When we got home we followed marathon bonding procedure by limiting there area to a 6 by 2 area. I would just spend hours on end watching them, to the point we’re I was even having dinner in my room and sleeping with the light on! I got so many pictures of them flopping with eachother. Slowly but surely she started to groom him back. Fasting forward a bit to february when she was getting spayed, they were still in love with eachother. When ever he went somewhere she would follow and vise versa. Always slept with eachother and such. That brings me to her spay. I brought them both togeather and I believe that made their bond stronger. He comforted her after her surgery and also provided a distraction for her. Against popular advice I didn’t separate them after her surgery as I didn’t have time at that point to rebond them. Thankfully it all worked out and they are still happily bonded. I know I didn’t follow the popular advice of spaying and neutering both, but it definitely helped having one bunny already fixed. I believe I got lucky, and with knowing there personality’s it’s helped me make decisions to benefit their bond. I hope this provides some help for people in the same situation as I had no one to look to but my gut. Thanks for reading!

That’s great it seems to have worked out for your 2 buns! I don’t know that I’d call it controversial though—perhaps “not standard” would fit better. ;)

There is standard general advice for when it comes to bonding. But as is often iterated, each bonding is unique. Suggestion offered here on RO are often with safety and caution in mind. You were fortunate to have such an easy bonding.

I’ve had easy instant bonds too-- through to ones that would not ever work. When I had only experienced an easy bond, it was difficult to imagine bonding being any other way. Once those difficult ones have been experienced, it becomes remiss to not offer cautions.

It sure would be nice if all rabbits got along and bonding always went smoothly!

Yes, standard general advice is a better description. Like Blue Eyes said, we here on RO have to err on the side of caution when giving bonding suggestions, primarily because we know of the problems that can occur with difficult bonds, and sometimes when bonding is approached improperly.

But that doesn't mean it can't work out in other ways. I've had a few my self. I had to 'bond' a baby rabbit with an adult neutered male temporarily, so he could teach her how to eat and drink(was improperly weaned, and too young). It's not something I would normally recommend to anyone, but there will sometimes be circumstances where things won't always go the normal route.

Sometimes you do have to go with your gut, but also having a good understanding of your rabbits personalities, and having a good understanding of rabbit body language and behavior. When you better understand rabbit behavior and body language, it helps guide you when a person does have to do things other than the 'standard' way. Though for someone new to rabbits, it's almost always better for them to stick with the 'standard' recommendations, to help minimize the more common bonding issues that can arise, and for safety.

Hi Peanutsplace. My story is almost exactly like yours. My male is 6 months older than my female. He was neutered and a month later I got my ND baby ( I thought she was a boy until her spay) and it was love at first sight! They have been together for 9 months and it always melts my heart watching them together

Attachments

• 72F9E89C-66FA-4433-8F96-519D0679B786.jpeg
    72F9E89C-66FA-4433-8F96-519D0679B786.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 5
Hi all! I am new to this forum. I am 7 weeks into pre bonding and after 4 days of bonding sessions nothing good has come of it. I love both so much and just feel emotionally exhausted. quick situation: male was free roam and followed me everywhere. She is 3 months younger than he is, both are fixed and well pas 8 weeks post fixing. I have them splitting a 1000 sqft finished basement. I switch litter every 24 hours. She started a tornado yesterday w him that left me shook to the core. I adopted her and just love her too. I want to cry but love so much to read the amazing love connections. I spend hours and hours each day with each of them. I am clueless as to how I can help these two buns fall in love. If you have any wise advice I welcome it. Than you so much!

Hi all! I am new to this forum. I am 7 weeks into pre bonding and after 4 days of bonding sessions nothing good has come of it. I love both so much and just feel emotionally exhausted. quick situation: male was free roam and followed me everywhere. She is 3 months younger than he is, both are fixed and well pas 8 weeks post fixing. I have them splitting a 1000 sqft finished basement. I switch litter every 24 hours. She started a tornado yesterday w him that left me shook to the core. I adopted her and just love her too. I want to cry but love so much to read the amazing love connections. I spend hours and hours each day with each of them. I am clueless as to how I can help these two buns fall in love. If you have any wise advice I welcome it. Than you so much!
Please start your own thread for this. You may copy/paste what you wrote here, then go to the Nutrition and Behavior forum and begin a new thread.

Latest posts

Back