My buns tummy is gurgling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna Standar

Reaction score
I've never heard this gurgling before in my bun, can anyone tell me what it could mean? The only thing I've given him a lot of lately is arugula since its ready in my garden and they love it. Will that upset their tummy?

If that was the only new food or change to the diet, yes, if you suddenly introduced a bunch of it into your rabbits diet it can sometimes cause digestive upset. Slow gradual introduction of new foods is best, to give the buns digestive flora time to adapt and make sure there isn't a sensitivity to the new food before increasing the amount. Other possible causes for upset could be if the greens had gone bad at all, or if a new bag of pellets or hay was just started.

If the arugula is the most likely cause, I would suggest stopping it and making sure lots of good quality grass hay is being consumed. I would keep a close eye on eating, drinking, lack of appetite, and any changes of behavior like unusual lethargy. I would also keep a close watch for signs of bloating or runny poop.

If that was the only new food or change to the diet, yes, if you suddenly introduced a bunch of it into your rabbits diet it can sometimes cause digestive upset. Slow gradual introduction of new foods is best, to give the buns digestive flora time to adapt and make sure there isn't a sensitivity to the new food before increasing the amount. Other possible causes for upset could be if the greens had gone bad at all, or if a new bag of pellets or hay was just started.

If the arugula is the most likely cause, I would suggest stopping it and making sure lots of good quality grass hay is being consumed. I would keep a close eye on eating, drinking, lack of appetite, and any changes of behavior like unusual lethargy. I would also keep a close watch for signs of bloating or runny poop.
Ok thanks. He has had arugula before, but I grew it this year's and have been giving him it daily with his lettuce and romaine. He seems perfectly normal, eating well, energetic as usual. I just happened to hear this for the first time today. No diarhea or anything. Just will quit giving it to him for a bit and keep an eye on him

It's normal to hear soft gurgle. If the gurgling is loud, make sure you massage the belly and work out any gas bubbles. If his belly is full of gas, simethicone (aka Ovol) can help. Contact a vet for dosage.

It's normal to hear soft gurgle. If the gurgling is loud, make sure you massage the belly and work out any gas bubbles. If his belly is full of gas, simethicone (aka Ovol) can help. Contact a vet for dosage.
Ok thanks. I havn't heard any gurgling this morning, I'm hoping whatever it was is over with.... But still keeping an ear out

Cosmo loves Arugula and has no problem.
Yeah, I didn't think it would cause problems..but that's the only thing I increased along with his usual lettuce. Very strange. He's very energetic as usual..but still has a bit of gurgling but not near as bad as it was... I just took it away for a bit to see what happens

So, I took him to my vet and he didn't hear any gurgling, of course it stopped just when I took him in. So I brought him home , he ate a bit and that's it since 6pm lastnight. He won't come out of his box he hides in and hasn't eaten all day... somthing is definitely wrong

Does he have access to things he shouldn't be eating like cardboard or mats/carpet? Not eating for several hours is an emergency. How is he now?

Does he have access to things he shouldn't be eating like cardboard or mats/carpet? Not eating for several hours is an emergency. How is he now?
No, it's all safe in his pen. I gave him some cilantro this morning ( his fav) he ate one piece, that's it. His poop is really small, not the usual size at all. I know they do have the smaller ones they eat but all of it is small.. Strange. I called the vet and told them there is somthing wrong and he's coming back Monday morning if there's no change. And I also asked for a different vet. They're closed for the weekend so that's all I can do. I feel so bad for him. He looks thin to me like he's lost weight. He has one bottom tooth that's dead he said Thursday. Because of gingivitis. ?? Maybe that's the problem??

If he tries to eat, and the teeth hurt that sure can be contribute to the problem.

I would syringe feed him by now, if offering him soft food like mashed up pellets, or stuff like really fine cut hay or greens doesn't work. Good thing is that he doesn't completly refuse to eat, you can try putting some on his lip so he licks it off to get the idea across. Mine like the fine stuff that falls out of hay bales. Doing nothing until monday is imho risky.

Some gurgling can be normal, but in connection with not eating and gut slowdown gas can become a problem. Simethicone, massages, and making the bunny move can help to some extent. Pain meds would be good too, so that eating doesn't hurt.

At first I thought that sounds quite like what my girl went trough this week, Sunday evening I noticed she wasn't eating, some gurgling, not hunched up and apathic but lounging around and not eating. So it wasn't bloat, also her teeth are fine, but a blockage from ingesting too much fur, Monday morning the vet gave paraffin oil, some injection and drops for appetite, I did give her 1ccm of oil twice and syringed her Simethicone (20mg 3 times a day), water every two hours -she took that willingly, but refused to eat anything. Belly massages and making her run somewhat every hour, started to syringe feed small amounts (5ml) of critical care in the afternoon, after the 3rd feeding 1h apart she eventually did start to eat her favorite greens.

No, it's all safe in his pen. I gave him some cilantro this morning ( his fav) he ate one piece, that's it. His poop is really small, not the usual size at all. I know they do have the smaller ones they eat but all of it is small.. Strange. I called the vet and told them there is somthing wrong and he's coming back Monday morning if there's no change. And I also asked for a different vet. They're closed for the weekend so that's all I can do. I feel so bad for him. He looks thin to me like he's lost weight. He has one bottom tooth that's dead he said Thursday. Because of gingivitis. ?? Maybe that's the problem??
This can't wait until Monday morning. There must be an emergency vet you can get to? He needs checking for blockage, pain relief, fluids, and if there is no blockage he needs gut stimulants and syringe feeding. All of this (plus giving you pain meds and gut stimulants and recovery food to give at home) is the minimum they should do, then get him to a rabbit vet on Monday. It could be mouth pain but in that case he should be willing to eat pellet puree unless he is going into stasis already and has pain from the gas. Please get him to a vet.

I hope bunny is better! This is a bad shedding season for my mini lop and he gets mopey. 1ml of simethicone every hour for the first 3 hours. Body massage for sure and pain med like Metacam if you have any! Try anything for food, greens, Critical Care, Emiraid (Rx Only), baby food like pumpkin or squash mixed with mashed pellets, anything to keep the gut from shutting down in stasis.

I can't reply, something wrong on this site??? Trying again before I write everything over

Ok it's working now
I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply, but I needed some time to myself. I've been a mess.
My sweet boy had a seizure right after my last post and passed away right front of me. That was so hard to watch. Broke my heart.
I wanted to thank everyone for all their advice, but unfortunately he went too fast.
I still have millie-girl and buddy (chips son) who looks just like him. All my buns live in my home and are like family. We will miss him dearly.
We buried chip with our other two dogs we've lost in the last few years , (cemetery area) on our acreage , it's filled with perineals and is a beautiful spot.

Oh my goodness. I know what you are going through as my male passed two weeks ago now. He had gurgling too. My sincerest condolences. You tried really hard. Big hug to you.

Oh my goodness. I know what you are going through as my male passed two weeks ago now. He had gurgling too. My sincerest condolences. You tried really hard. Big hug to you.
Thankyou, certainly is hard loosing him. He was so loved. Condolences to you as well

Latest posts

Back