My buns getting sprayed tomorrow!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccalyn7

Reaction score
What can I expect from this?
Any side affects or is there anything that could go wrong,
What , how do I look after her to make sure she gets no infections.?
Nervous for her!
Does it make her less of a female?

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

You should be giving her pain medicine afterwards (metacam, I do believe?) to keep her pain down. Because she's a doe, the surgery is more invasive than for a male and thus, lots more pain. She may pull at incision site/chew it open; to avoid this ask the vet if they have anything to put on the incision area to discourage chewing. Metacam for the pain also helps to avoid chewing - I've read before they theorize that pain is part of the reason buns chew at incisions. Could be wrong!

Anyways, be sure to encourage her to eat ASAP after the procedure. Check incision at least daily, more if you're feeling super diligent and have the time (I encourage multiple times daily, but that's just me. I'm super phobic LOL). I've also heard to remove all bedding from the cage until she heals up because the aspen shavings/shavings in general can get in the incision. :S I've heard that newspaper based litter is acceptable - like Yesterday's News - because it won't get into the incision and set up infection/irritate it.

From what I have been told, spaying won't make her "less of a female" in the ways that take away from her! It will take away any hormonal behaviors, like spraying and being a jerkface. Some people have had aggressive rabbits that mellowed out after being spayed. :) It all depends on your girl! She should mostly be the same afterwards, just some annoying habits taken out of the equation and a little less sexually motivated about everything.

Personally my Xena behaves exactly the same way she did before she got spayed. Granted it happened when she was young so major hormonal behavior never got a chance to set but she still digs, chews, thumps and acts the princess when she doesn't get her own way. So I wouldn't worry about yours losing femininity.

As for the medical advice, everyone covered the proper way to go and it's what I followed when Xena's spay was done.

My bun is a year and a half old now, so she's just grown out of her hormone levels and settled down,
So I don't think it will have a huge effect on her, I more did it for the cancer later on in her life.
At the moment the only thing she's doing is humping the other rabbit

So my bun has got spayed,
She got done about 7 hours ago,
And she looks like she is in a lot of pain, she's basically doing little hops and then just laying down,
She's peeing which is a good sign

Thanks guys, been three days now, at first she wasn't eating or drinking. But she's all better now! So thank you!

Latest posts

Back