My bunny won't eat his vegies 🥲

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poby

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a new member and I am kind of unsure on how this works but I'll try my best! I'll first start off with an introduction.

My bunny's name is Poby and he is a mini lop, he will be 4 years old by this year. He was de-sexed at the age of 2. He gets scared very easily but when he gets to know someone, he becomes very energetic and zooms around with binkies. We first got him because he looked very calm as he was the only one staying still but turns out it was just because he was really scared. 😂 He's actually very energetic and a curious bunny.

Recently I've decided to give my bunny more veggies than usual as he eats his pellets twice a day but it seems he has less interest in his veggies these days. Sometimes I give him an apple or a banana as a treat but now he's less interested in them. Usually he would eat them like a dog (he loves eating) but instead, he just eats his pellets like a dog. I have a feeling that I might need to reduce the amount of pellets I'm giving him as he is gaining more weight and he's so focused on having the pellets everyday. I want him to focus more on his hay and the veggies I give him.
Any advice will be helpful!
Thank you ^^

Let's start by finding out how many pellets he eats now. What kind (brand, name) are they? Is your bun about 6 lbs in weight?

What kind of hay does he get? Does he eat anywhere near his body size (size not weight) in hay each day?

Is there a normal daily amount or type of greens or veggies (or fruit) that he gets offered now? Could you describe?

Fruit, like apples and bananas, are considered a treat and shouldn't be lumped with veggies or greens. Once a rabbit is on a steady diet of limited pellets, loads of hay, and daily greens, then we can talk about adding in an occasional treat of fruit. Once that time arrives, the max per day would be a single slice of apple OR a 1" slice of banana.

Your suspicion that he may be favoring pellets over his hay or greens is a valid suspicion and not uncommon. Once you reply to the questions, we can offer some suggestions on what steps could help.

Latest posts

Back