My bunny started dry sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selena RD

Reaction score
She a harlequin and we had her in a playpen in the left side of the living room now we put her on the right side so we can watch her cause she started digging her litter box all night she has before but not this much and we use yesterday news litter change her litter every 5 days and shes been eating, pooping regularly running around normal then the second day on the right side of the living room she's been sneezing at least 20 to 30 times we checked her eyes look clear her nose her front feet nothing on them her ears are clean but she cleans her whole body more then normal and we gave her benadryl cause it helped one of my bunnys before with a wet nose and for the three days we been giving her it's been a lot less now at least 12 a day Sneezes we checked if she makes any loud or weird breathing noises and it sounds normal and we are trying to find a good vet around here but it's hard in this little town i hope for any advice on here or any past experience like this with your buns u could share thanks.

And also She still digs her litter box but less often and she likes orchard grass and Timothy hay from oxbow and i always shake it

And shes 3 and i have not put anything new in her diet and we do not smoke or perfume or air fresheners in the house and we clean her little box with white vinegar

Maybe when she digs in her litter box, hay dust gets in her nose? Are the strands of hay long, or short and dusty. I used to have dusty hay for a while until I got better hay, and my bunny sneezed when he was around the hay sometimes. I don’t know if this is why your bunny is sneezing, but it’s an idea.

She does sneeze in her litter but usually she'll just eat her vegetables or her hay then she'll go to the corner and sneeze once or twice then she'll clean herself and go on like nothing and they are super long but she doesn't like it that way so i cut it for her

Check her too if there is any nose discharge. Heard my rabbit sniffle a few times, brought her into the vet and she has a lung infection. I caught it before it spread throughout her body. Don't want to worry you but if a rabbit is sniffling it's probably not normal.

Check her too if there is any nose discharge. Heard my rabbit sniffle a few times, brought her into the vet and she has a lung infection. I caught it before it spread throughout her body. Don't want to worry you but if a rabbit is sniffling it's probably not normal.
She has no discharge but i guess i have to find a vet

What symptom's did your bunny have could it be allergies?

And how did the vet treat your bunny like what medication

And she does do a push out hard every once i awhile

It could be also because of dust. Rabbits can definitely be allergic to dust. Also, she might be allergic to wooden litter pellets (if u use those). It may also be an underlying medical concern. I would get your rabbit taken to the vet, and also clean your rabbits enclosure very thoroughly. You said in an above post that she sometimes sneezed in her litter box? Perhaps she is allergic to the litter, because I read that rabbits are rarely allergic to hay. I hope she will be fine! ❤️

It could be also because of dust. Rabbits can definitely be allergic to dust. Also, she might be allergic to wooden litter pellets (if u use those). It may also be an underlying medical concern. I would get your rabbit taken to the vet, and also clean your rabbits enclosure very thoroughly. You said in an above post that she sometimes sneezed in her litter box? Perhaps she is allergic to the litter, because I read that rabbits are rarely allergic to hay. I hope she will be fine! ❤

Me too and i will

And how did the vet treat your bunny like what medication
Sodium chloride through a nebulizer. Ciloxan solution which are drops for her nostrils. Azithromycin which is an antibiotic. And meloxicam for pain. She just stopped the medicines on Sunday and I'm taking her back in ASAP.

What symptom's did your bunny have could it be allergies?
She had pre existing issues. Did a swab testing her nose bacteria and it came back as normal so they weren't concerned. But as soon as I heard her sniffle I took her in. Sniffling could be nothing but it could also be something terrible, in our situation it was a lung infection. No other symptoms. Eating, happy, does binkies and bunny 500s all the time.

She had pre existing issues. Did a swab testing her nose bacteria and it came back as normal so they weren't concerned. But as soon as I heard her sniffle I took her in. Sniffling could be nothing but it could also be something terrible, in our situation it was a lung infection. No other symptoms. Eating, happy, does binkies and bunny 500s all the time.
And I'm sorry about everything your bunny is going through but do u know The range Of how much that costed

If there are no signs of discharge(wet around the nose, matted fur on the inside of the front legs, noisy breathing, mouth breathing) and you haven't confirmed yet if the sneezing is consistent and ongoing, you might be jumping the gun a little here. Rabbits do sneeze, and can even have small sneezing fits if they get dust or debris up their nose. It could be dusty or drafty on the other side where you moved her, if she was showing no sign of a problem before moving her.

If she is still having bouts with sneezing, you could try moving her back and see if the sneezing stops. Or carefully check around her new area to see if there might be a problem causing the sneezing. I really would strongly urge not to be giving her medications unnecessarily, without ruling out other environmental possibilities first, and before confirming there is actually a health issue causing the sneezing. It's also best to only give meds under an experienced rabbit vets instruction.

Rabbits will sometimes sigh(breath out) when they flop and relax, if that is what you are seeing.

Latest posts

Back