My bunny made me drop all the food.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumpedbunny

Reaction score
My bunny bite me again while I was putting some more food into his bowl and he just up and bites me right in my havd and made me drop the whole bag of food onto the ground. I managed to save some of it but the rest has gone into the damp dirt. I can not avoid getting bitten. I'm starting my training with him tomorrow morning. My other two bunnies are gentle... I don't have much bunny food left because the store only has like 2 or 3 bags at one time. I'll have to get more later today hopefully they have some in because they wont eat any other rabbit food unless its the fruity mix which is more of a treat for them.

Ted, a very large lop would nip unless I put my hand on him--he was very old and had very little sight left, but once he knew it was me he was fine. Sounds like you need to definitely do some training. I've told friends that if "they don't train their bunny, their bunny will train them".

You have a food-aggressive rabbit. That means you'll need to only refill his food when he's distracted or not in the area.

The food you are feeding (with fruity mix) is terrible for rabbits. It is like feeding him candy. Please take a look at the better options here -- the varieties in green are best.
Rabbit Food Comparision - Brand, Type, Nutritional Analysis

Purchase a healthy option and then begin to transition them from the old stuff to the new. To do this safely, mix 1 part of the new with 3 parts of the old. Feed that for several days. Then mix equal parts of each type for a few days. After that, use 3 parts new to 1 part old. By then, bunny will have been getting used to the new pellet. Several days of that last mixture will make switching solely to the new brand an easy transition.

Remember, those food pellets should only make up a tiny, tiny portion of their daily diet. The bulk of what they eat should be hay, followed by greens. Here is a visual to give a proper idea of what a rabbit should eat each day.

It is perfectly fine for a rabbit to go several days without pellet food. It is the hay that they should always have available in abundance. Hay is what you want to be sure to never run out of.

1669510356838.jpeg

May I recommend Oxbow Organic Bounty? They have age-specific pellets. My rabbit loves the stuff😉

This is curious. I have never heard of food aggression in rabbits, that’s quite interesting 🧐

I did have my rabbit show food aggression in the past when I first adopted him, but mainly with individuals he isn't as familiar with or if he is in an unfamiliar environment. He's never shown this kind of aggression to myself or my boyfriend (other than accidental nips trying to get to a treat). What I tell people is to approach with slow movements, and as a previous poster said, feeding while they are distracted on a consistent schedule (same times of day) it helped him realize that he can expect food regularly and not have to feel nervous about protecting his resources. I've also worked with him on this by giving him very gentle pets while he is eating so he recognizes that a hand coming towards him while eating does not mean his food will be taken away (I wouldn't recommend this until he begins making progress to avoid getting bitten if he is heavily protective over his food).

Does he react this way when treats are offered by hand? Or is it just his hay/pellets?

Latest posts

Back