My bunny keeps sneezing and scratching his ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookypoof

Reaction score
Important info: I’ve only had this bunny for 5 days. My bunny is male and not neutered; I do not know the age (he’s pretty young) or breed of this bunny. I also have an ant problem and ants are in his litter

My bunny has been sneezing a lot these past three days. They are not sneezing fits, they’re individual sneezes on different times. They are about 5 minutes or 1 hour apart, but they are getting more frequent and they are now starting to come in twos. I can’t tell if he had stuff coming out of his nose since he grooms his face, I’m worried that he may have snuffles but I’m honestly not too sure if it’s a dust problem or if his allergic to something. I vacuumed today and I wiped dust from over and under my furniture but the sneezing hasn’t gone away. He also tilts his head in order to scratch it; is this a head tilt and should I be worried? Does he have snuffles? I need help!!!

Welcome to the forum.
I’d look for mites and fleas also. It could also be allergies, so I’d vacuum thoroughly and check his hay. My rabbit used to sneeze because he was allergic to the old brand of hay that I brought. Hay should have long strands and not be dusty. I’d look for wet eyes or a wet nose, which is a major sign of snuffles.

What kind of litter are you using? Is there anything else that might be too dusty in his environment?

What kind of litter are you using? Is there anything else that might be too dusty in his environment?
For litter I am using shredded paper, I switched to archers grass today to see if Timothy hay was the problem. I would say that my carpet is dusty but I vacuumed yesterday and the meeting hasn’t stopped.

Welcome to the forum.
I’d look for mites and fleas also. It could also be allergies, so I’d vacuum thoroughly and check his hay. My rabbit used to sneeze because he was allergic to the old brand of hay that I brought. Hay should have long strands and not be dusty. I’d look for wet eyes or a wet nose, which is a major sign of snuffles.
Thank you !!

Could you post a photo of your rabbit's setup? That could make it easier for us to spot anything that might be amiss. .)

(A rabbit tilting his head to scratch is not head tilt. With head tilt, the rabbits head remains tilted 24/7.)

Ohmygosh! Same as my tino was within the first week. It got so bad he actually scratched himself bald on his neck behind his ears. Took him to the vet. They gave me probiotics, dewormer, and antibiotic. Aswell as antibacterial drops to go in eyes and nose for sneezing.
400$ later and a week on his meds, and hes the bunny I bought.

Ohmygosh! Same as my tino was within the first week. It got so bad he actually scratched himself bald on his neck behind his ears. Took him to the vet. They gave me probiotics, dewormer, and antibiotic. Aswell as antibacterial drops to go in eyes and nose for sneezing.
P.s I thought it was allergies.. but is not. Dont be fooled.

Could you post a photo of your rabbit's setup? That could make it easier for us to spot anything that might be amiss. .)

(A rabbit tilting his head to scratch is not head tilt. With head tilt, the rabbits head remains tilted 24/7.)
Yes, here you go. He is a free roam bunny.

Attachments

• 638F6DE4-D3E2-42DD-830B-842B55379AB8.jpeg
    638F6DE4-D3E2-42DD-830B-842B55379AB8.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 14
The medicine and the visit was $400??

Unfortunatly we had to go to a 24/7 hospital because of corona virus here. Veterinary offices have closed mostly. So was 175 for JUST the visit, and then the rest was the meds. If you can find or have a cheaper vet open around you then you can cut the cost. But I HONESTLY thought it was just allergies, and I was VERY wrong. You may not get prescribed the probiotics. If your bunny has been through deworming already, that will be unnecessary aswell. Antibacterial solution has been his life saver though with the sneezing, and he had discharge coming out of his eyes. So serves a dual purpose. aswell as dewormer helped with the scratching as soon as I gave it to him. Over night it was his saving grace, and the antibiotic helped the scratching as well and with everything within a couple days he started to get better. But I'm sure they will atleast give antibiotic and antibacterial for what you are describing. And if you can find out if he has been dewormed, can save money there.

Aswell, the probiotic was just to boost his system after being sick. If you opt out of that then it isnt TOTALLY necessary. So if you just get the antibacterial, and the antibiotic it will probably cost around 80-90$, plus whatever your visit costs. The probiotics to help boost them from being Ill though is only 20$ more.

I waited two extra days to take tino to the vet, and he got bald spots I am mortified of thinking about I let them happen when I knew I shouldn't have waited, and tried a dry shampoo, which made the dandruff start, and the loss of hair worse than it should have been. If you notice thinning of the hair, or it getting shorter where he is scratching, dont wait. He is irritated and coconut oil etc will NOT help.

Important info: I’ve only had this bunny for 5 days. My bunny is male and not neutered; I do not know the age (he’s pretty young) or breed of this bunny. I also have an ant problem and ants are in his litter

My bunny has been sneezing a lot these past three days. They are not sneezing fits, they’re individual sneezes on different times. They are about 5 minutes or 1 hour apart, but they are getting more frequent and they are now starting to come in twos. I can’t tell if he had stuff coming out of his nose since he grooms his face, I’m worried that he may have snuffles but I’m honestly not too sure if it’s a dust problem or if his allergic to something. I vacuumed today and I wiped dust from over and under my furniture but the sneezing hasn’t gone away. He also tilts his head in order to scratch it; is this a head tilt and should I be worried? Does he have snuffles? I need help!!!
Heres a picture of my bunny

Attachments

• 5011DD6C-BC30-4F4E-B2CC-0A32F559B97F.jpeg
    5011DD6C-BC30-4F4E-B2CC-0A32F559B97F.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1

Heres a picture of my bunny

i adopted this bunny from Coral Reed Pet Center in Norridge.

Latest posts

Back