My bunny just had her first litter, what do I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbi101

Reaction score
So my rabbit just gave birth last night to 4 kits. She made her nest in her litter box and has them in there. Should I move them into the nesting box? Or should I leave them be? Also what should I do as this was an accidental litter and I'm not sure what I should be worrid about and I want to know everthing I,can to make sure her and her babies are healhy.

I would suggest either moving them into the nesting box or giving her a different litter box to replace that one(though do make sure the one they are in is clean). Make sure the nest is made properly with a soft grass hay and lined with the mothers fur to keep them warm. If you move them keep the nest box as near as possible to where she originally built the nest. You'll need to make sure she is ok with them having been moved and feeds them within the first 24 hours after birth. They will have fat bellies if they've been fed. You can sometimes see a whitish splotch when their bellies are full of milk. She'll only feed once or twice a day, usually in the morning and/or evening. If she hasn't fed them they will start to look wrinkly and get weak.

This link has info on what to expect and how to care for accidental litters.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Latest posts

Back