My bunny hates me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChubbyBunny

Reaction score
Hello, my names Corey my bunny’s name is chubbybunny I’m not sure what bread she is other then not a lop ear bunny, I know rabbit a very good aggressive but every time I stick my hand in the cage she goes to bite me and take her front paws are scratches my hands and she has razor sharp nail also I know they don’t like to be help up high I have never done anything traumatic to her she’s about 7 months old but every time I go to pick her up she scratches the crap out of my chest and jumps down I just want some tips on how I can get her not to hate me I’m so sad I love her

When you put your hand in her cage you are invading her territory, if you need to do something in her cage you should try and do it when she isn’t in there, or when she is down the other end. Does she have time out of her cage to run around? When she does, you should sit on the floor where she can come and sniff you - don’t touch her at first, just let her explore and get to know that you aren’t a threat. Then you can try offering her a treat etc, so she knows you’re a positive experience. Don’t try picking her up at all for now, it is terrifying for them as the only time I wild rabbit would be lifted is by a predator. Just let her interact with you on her terms, it is all about respect with rabbits.
On a side note, if her nails are very long and sharp you should take her to a vet to have them trimmed.

Or you could make sure you are the Alpha and treat her like an alpha would. When you reach in, if she tries to attack pin her to the floor and speak in a deep fast cadence so it resembles grunting. All of ours are rescues, and some were on "death row" for attacking and biting--not nipping--biting with bleeding as they learned that got them left alone. Getting bit all the time is no fun and You do get tired of sporting bandaids too. It usually takes only a short while and they become model citizens--Cosmo comes when called now and puts on a heck of a show when I go into the rabbit room. Just make sure you get a good grip without hurting them--so they know they can't escape and do the same when holding them--make it firm so they don't try to thrash around. Remember, if you don't train them right, they will train you. Any questions, P M me. With the shy bunny it's entirely different and you need time and patience to win their trust--Bambi would go to the farthest side of the room when she first came to us, but after treats, time, and patience she'd come when called and would follow me all over more like a canine than a bunny. Each is an individual and a rabbit will behave different than a dog or cat so you need to know how they interact socially or you'll have problems. And as to the nails, buy a trimmer and have the vet tech show you how to do a trim--we had 17 and our son had 5 so it was more than we could afford.

Thanks guys I’m trying she’s like evil with her red eyes she bites and like you said Nancy she BITES breaks skin bleeding bites and the scratches are even worse I’m just so upset cause she’s so cute and I don’t wanna get rid of her but just look at my hand

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 21
Try sitting in a room with chubbybunny for an hour, just sit still and let the rabbit get used to your smell and being around you.

Don't try to interact with chubby, just let the bun hop around and they will bond to you very quickly.

Younger rabbits depending on how they were brought up can have varying tempers, personalities and attitudes.

Like the other posters said their cage is a territory, and your hand seems like a predator. Over time this will change and your bunny will get more used to you. Don't worry just put the time into sitting with chubbybunny in an empty room :) Hope that helps! let us know how you get on.

With an aggressive and/or nervous rabbit, it's going to take patience and the right kind of interaction. If you force things like grab her out of her cage, try and pick your rabbit up when she clearly doesn't want to be picked up, all that is going to happen is that your rabbit will become more scared and aggressive towards you. With nervous aggressive rabbits, you need to earn their trust slowly and patiently, by not forcing them to do what you want them to do(be picked up, cuddled, petted when they don't want it, etc).

Allow her to come out of her cage on her own. Sit on the floor with her in a smaller area like a bathroom(rabbit proofed) or a puppy exercise pen, and just let her hop around you while you sit and read or use your tablet/phone. Don't try and pick her up or pet her, let her come to you unforced. Gradually over time as she learns to trust you, you can work up trying to pet her, but if you force it too quickly you will just make her nervous about coming near you.

If you don't think this is something you can do, it may be this rabbit isn't the right fit for you and rehoming her to a good home where you fully disclose the aggression issues, might be a better option for you and her.

Here is some info on working with an aggressive rabbit.
https://rabbit.org/faq-aggression/
http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-aggressive-rabbit.asp

Hi Corey. I don't have a bunny, but I plan to in the next few years. I've been watching a lot of video clips from Howcast, Lennon the Bunny, 101 Rabbits and others and I will talk about what some say.

1) You said your bunny is in cage. That may...may be where your problem starts. Bunnies do not like cages. They need lots of space. According to the clips, if they are confined in a small space and are frustrated because they are unhappy and can't get out, they become extremely territorial because the cage is their whole life. Peta says rabbits need to be out of their cages 5 hours a day. Are you doing that? Bunnies prefer X-pens or a small room if possible.
So your rabbit may be actually really unhappy.

2)Also, it takes time to bond with a rabbit. You have to earn her trust by being patient and being gentle.

3)You should not be reaching into the cage while the rabbit is in the cage.

4)Talk to some rescue agencies, get a guide book, do some research. Don't be discouraged. Did you do a ton of research before getting this rabbit?

5)Be kind. Be patient. Get educated.

6) Good luck

Latest posts

Back