My bunny has scabies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reemy

Reaction score
I am so upset because I took my rabbit to the vet and he told me that my rabbit has scabies.

Now the scabies is on my sister, mother and I. My mum does not want the rabbits anymore because the scabies spread to us all and we need to purge the full house with its furniture.

I wish that someone can adopt them. I love them.

I am so upset because I took my rabbit to the vet and he told me that my rabbit has scabies.

Now the scabies is on my sister, mother and I. My mum does not want the rabbits anymore because the scabies spread to us all and we need to purge the full house with its furniture.

I wish that someone can adopt them. I love them.
Maybe board the rabbits at the vet for treatment until they are better and the house is cleaned?
Or contact a rabbit rescue.

I had to google what scabies are. What makes your mom think that the rabbit (s) is a culprit? It says its very common for people to have.
Did the vet prescribe treatment? I wonder if application of Revolution would prevent them from future infestation.

Sarcoptic mange can be treated fairly easily by your vet - you can also get treatment yourselves if necessary. Where do they live in the house? If you vacuum well and thoroughly clean their area there shouldn’t be too much of an issue?

After I googled about scabies, I am thinking I might have them on my hands! it really looks like it. If my bun is treated with Revolution (and it's time to reapply it in 2 days), should I be concerned that he can be infected too? he does spend time outdoors. what should we do? I have to use my hands often ! I applied some tea tree oil on my hands for now, and it made the redness worse.

which would be better for a rabbit to prevent burrowing mites (and other parasites) - Revolution or Ivermectin?

I’ve been told that ivermectin is better for burrowing mites. Selamectin does work, but think it needs higher doses.

well I don't know if Paul has or would have them. It looks like I myself got them on my hands and arms. I am handling him a lot - picking him up and so on... today I need to go get the medication for him because they got Revolution on June 4th and it's wearing off.. I won't take him for an exam today - I myself need an exam !

This page: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm says that it is treated with 3 injections of Ivermectin (1 every 2 weeks). I'm not sure how much the dosage would be, you'd have to ask a vet.
I have taken Norman to the vet and he gave him an injection but I am not sure what he gave him. Ill have to ask him in the next appointment.

At the moment, I refrain from touching Norman or Kiko in any way because I just healed from scabies myself and I dont really want to get them again. Its a real struggle to be honest when they look at you all cute and cuddly and I just cant touch them. It gets frustrating sometimes.

My understanding about mites is they are species specific...in other words, you don't get them from your rabbit and vice versa. You may have two different types affecting your house. I could be wrong though.

I have read a lot about them recently since I was suspecting that I had them (I had something else)
among the ways to contract them are: gyms, public transport, doctors waiting rooms, changing room in stores, even a door knob :) Not a single indication they can be contracted thru pets.

Latest posts

Back