My bunny has lost his markings

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Nlp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker but first time poster here. I have a 41/2 month old mini lop who used to have fawny/grey markings covering most of his body but over the last 2 months his body has become almost completely white. Is it normal for a bun to lose all his body markings?

We are in Australia and it’s the start of summer if that is at all relevant, he is an indoor bunny and he has a history of having an extremely sensitive stomach and quite a few stomach upsets.
Thanks in advance for any input

I will attach images of his old markings and how he looks now......

Last edited:

Nlp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know the answer to your question...I’m just on here to squeeeeeeeeee! over how adorable your baby is. What is his name???
Aww thanks, we fell in love with him the second we first saw him. His name is Toby (he also answers to “terrible Tobias” when he’s getting into mischief )

Nlp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
His markings may be heat sensitive. I used to own a pair of California rabbits and in the winter, they had black nose,paws, and ears. During summer however, they were almost completely white.
Thanks, it makes me feel better to hear someone else has a magical colour changing bunny. I love him either way of course, I was just a bit shocked when I realised how much he had faded.
I have been a bit worried thinking that it could be related to the health problems he has had so far. I asked the breeder about it too and she couldn’t shed any light on it, so I guess I will have to wait for the cooler seasons to come back around and see if his markings darken back up.

SableSteel

Reaction score
The sable point color is known to change a lot between molts (it is a bit temperature sensitive, not as much as californian/himalayan though, and their junior colors are sometimes darker than their senior colors)

JenGibs

Reaction score
He is so stinkin cute!

I have a dwarf lionhead (fully grown) and she was all white with a black nose, ears, feet and tail. Like Hollandblaze03, she changes in temperature but it is the opposite! She has her dark colorings during warm months and it fades during cold months. Right now her feet are a super light grey, her tail is grey, her nose and ears are much lighter too. In the spring, those areas will darken again. Soooooo strange!

Attachments

Nlp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is so stinkin cute!

I have a dwarf lionhead (fully grown) and she was all white with a black nose, ears, feet and tail. Like Hollandblaze03, she changes in temperature but it is the opposite! She has her dark colorings during warm months and it fades during cold months. Right now her feet are a super light grey, her tail is grey, her nose and ears are much lighter too. In the spring, those areas will darken again. Soooooo strange!
She looks so fluffy!! She also looks rather cheeky!
Thanks, I’m definitely not alone then. I think I was mainly worried because Toby has had so many health issues but I’m now happy to leave that theory be and just run with the magical colour changing one (my youngest son is now telling his friends that our bunny is magical )

bunnicula1111

Reaction score
Omg they are so adorable! I have just discovered this website and it’s so amazing to see all the other bunnies like mine who have such big personalities and loving homes!! I have had litters with babies that are both all white and then they change later or they come out “dusty” lol so we like to call them. Sometimes that sticks and others it grows out. I love my bunnies more then I ever thought was possible, they really are Hoo-mans best friend!

A few years ago my husband got me two Lionhead bunnies for my birthday. He knew I’d been struggling with depression and needed someway to feel connected.
they have been the light in his life since they day they came home.
He is so stinkin cute!

Attachments

Latest posts

Group Builder