My bunny has a cut

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutdabunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
peanut has a cut right next to his testicles, if you could please provide me with some advice before saying to just take him to a vet. Here’s a picture it was a scab before but he must have chewed it off, it’s not bleeding, and I cleaned it with water, He is still eating and drinking. He just got neutered a week ago.

Attachments

• E6E24AA3-A185-4980-BDF2-4F80C88B4D87.jpeg
    E6E24AA3-A185-4980-BDF2-4F80C88B4D87.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 10
More pictures

Attachments

• C05DB907-6E8C-4858-BF72-81815CAFA9A1.jpeg
    C05DB907-6E8C-4858-BF72-81815CAFA9A1.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 3
  • C0B7BA3F-EEF7-4264-A353-07558FA49CBB.jpeg
    C0B7BA3F-EEF7-4264-A353-07558FA49CBB.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CE8CCD33-6757-46AC-B020-42113473456B.jpeg
    CE8CCD33-6757-46AC-B020-42113473456B.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DE4E35F7-B0FA-418D-B781-5592938BEF02.jpeg
    DE4E35F7-B0FA-418D-B781-5592938BEF02.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 3
If it's just a small wound that doesn't open up to the layer beneath and there are no signs of infection, I would just put a light coating of plain neosporin(triple antibiotic ointment, no added pain reliever) on it twice a day, and distract with food or something following so it doesn't immediately get groomed off. Then I would keep an eye on it. If it gets messed with and chewed open or if it gets swollen, red, and/or infected, I would get it checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

If it is open to the layer below and isn't just a superficial surface wound, if there are signs of swelling, redness, and/or infection, or if it doesn't seem like a normal wound but might be something else, contact your vet and get an appointment right away to have it checked.

Vet costs vary, depending on each individual vet. There's no way to say how much the vet you go to will charge. You just have to ask them what the costs will be.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If it's just a small wound that doesn't open up to the layer beneath and there are no signs of infection, I would just put a light coating of plain neosporin(triple antibiotic ointment, no added pain reliever) on it twice a day, and distract with food or something following so it doesn't immediately get groomed off. Then I would keep an eye on it. If it gets messed with and chewed open or if it gets swollen, red, and/or infected, I would get it checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

If it is open to the layer below and isn't just a superficial surface wound, if there are signs of swelling, redness, and/or infection, or if it doesn't seem like a normal wound but might be something else, contact your vet and get an appointment right away to have it checked.

Vet costs vary, depending on each individual vet. There's no way to say how much the vet you go to will charge. You just have to ask them what the costs will be.

can you send me an amazon link to that product?

Are you able to send an email to your vet?
Call them and ask if you can send them a photo or two of the incision and the open cut. They may be able to tell you then if it should be restitched. They may just ask you bring bunbun in.
Every vet is different, but it shouldn't cost too much if you take him back to where the surgery was done.

Are you able to send an email to your vet?
Call them and ask if you can send them a photo or two of the incision and the open cut. They may be able to tell you then if it should be restitched. They may just ask you bring bunbun in.
Every vet is different, but it shouldn't cost too much if you take him back to where the surgery was done.
It was a cheap vet, I sent an email to the vet, hopefully they message back soon!. No blood, already has started to harden over

It was a cheap vet, I sent an email to the vet, hopefully they message back soon!. No blood, already has started to harden over
Well that's a good sign. Keep an eye on it and make sure he doesn't lick or bite at it.
Maybe call the vet and let them know you sent an email and would like them to take a look at it (if you attached photos)

I almost feel that should have a stitch, but I'm also a worrywart 🤣🤦‍♀️

New picture

Can I use bacitracin?

Bacitracin is one of the active ingredients in triple antibiotic ointment. Though it doesn't provide as broad a cover against potential bacteria, it will probably be an acceptable alternative. Though if in doubt or you have concerns, it's always best to consult with your vet. I'm only giving my opinion.

Bacitracin is one of the active ingredients in triple antibiotic ointment. Though it doesn't provide as broad a cover against potential bacteria, it will probably be an acceptable alternative. Though if in doubt or you have concerns, it's always best to consult with your vet. I'm only giving my opinion.
they said I could use it

Latest posts

Back