my bunny has a bloody nose, any advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnypop

Reaction score
so i have 2 bonded bunnies that are always together. they're fine together and get along well, but today i found clumps of hair on the floor and shortly after that i saw them break out into a small fight. a few minutes later i noticed that one of my bunnies (chubs) had a small amount of blood on his nose so i cleaned it up and 3-4 minutes later i noticed he had more blood on his nose.

i read that bloody noses in rabbits can be a sign of an infection, but my bunny is eating just fine, pooping, and peeing normal. he's moving around and jumping off and on the couch. should i call the vet or will the bleeding eventually stop?

just to clarify, chubs wasn't bleeding a lot. i have a damp towel that i've been cleaning his nose with since i first saw the blood and there's very little on it. it's been over 10 minutes since i last cleaned his nose and he isn't bleeding anymore from what i can see. he's still acting normal; laying down, pooping big round poops like usual, and he has a big appetite which is normal for him. he doesn't seem to be bleeding anymore.

one thing i just noticed is that i think the blood might be coming from a scratch on his nose? and not from the nostril(?) i can't get a good look at it because chubs is still mad at me for cleaning up his nose with the damp towel lol but i'll try to hold him up

For small scratches I just use a little Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment. But not too much because sometimes they make the wound worse trying to get the stuff off. Or you can just keep the area clean and let it heal on its own.

Latest posts

Back