My bunny got diarrhea!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babygroot

Reaction score
Hello,
So last night my bunny Mimmi got diarrhea... She has been having some problems with her stomach making sounds before and recently her stomach got worse after I let her out and she ate a lot of greens she hadn't eaten for a while. It got better though after a few hours. I've also given her minifom (basically simethicone) for her stomach cause it's been making noises. I have already seen the vet for it but it didn't really get any better after that.
I've made sure she's eating hay, druken water, I've given her a massage (she doesn't like being massaged though) and so on...
I have another bunny that I'm going to take to the vet cause she's been having stomach problems as well (it's making sounds) and my parents don't want to take both. The reason for that is that Mimmi has already been to the vet before and so they want me to take my other bunny Molly first, ask the vet question about what I should do with Mimmi (since he's already seen her maybe he can determine what would be best for her) and then take it from there. But I won't be going to the vet until Tuesday and I'm not sure how long I can make Mimmi wait or how serious this diarreha is... I could to take her to "blå stjärnan" which is open 24/7 and have great vets, but it's quite pricey and we usually only go there if it a acute problem.

So my question is, she had diarrhea last night, today she's acting like usual and her poop is between normal and then mushy clumps of poop (not sure how to describe it but not normal), is it a acute problem or can she wait until I've discussed with the vet I'm seeing on Tuesday?

Last edited:
You're already doing pretty much what there is to do, quite likely too much greens with too little time to adjust was the problem. I would keep feeding her usual diet with just reducing everything except hay for some days, and keep a close eye on how much they eat and drink. If everything is back to normal sloly start introducing grass and weeds. Like start with a bundle the size of a finger twice a day, and add the same amount each day for a week.

Some stomach noises can be rather normal to some point, Simethicone is never wrong at that occasion, making the bunny move more and gentle massages too.
The noises come from gas moving, that's actually a good thing that it does, the problems start when there is too much of it or when the rabbits starts acting different than usual because of feeling uncomfortable or even being in pain.

You're already doing pretty much what there is to do, quite likely too much greens with too little time to adjust was the problem. I would keep feeding her usual diet with just reducing everything except hay for some days, and keep a close eye on how much they eat and drink. If everything is back to normal sloly start introducing grass and weeds. Like start with a bundle the size of a finger twice a day, and add the same amount each day for a week.

Some stomach noises can be rather normal to some point, Simethicone is never wrong at that occasion, making the bunny move more and gentle massages too.
The noises come from gas moving, that's actually a good thing that it does, the problems start when there is too much of it or when the rabbits starts acting different than usual because of feeling uncomfortable or even being in pain.
Well she sits in a hunched position looking quite uncomfortable, she done that for a while, but my parents think she's just fine and that I'm overthinking it. I mean she eats, drinks and moves around just fine, but it's quite obvious to me that she's uncomfortable, maybe even in pain. It's been like this for a while and it hasn't really gotten worse (or better) up until she was outside. She didn't get diarrhea at first, but it was "bad" poop, then it was fine, but now, almost a week later she got diarrhea (forgot to mention that she ate the greens almost a week ago). But she's acting fine today, she's acting the way she was before she was outside so maybe I can wait until Tuesday and ask the vet for some advice.
But yeah, I'll only give her hay and water for the time being and after I've spoken to the vet I might start introducing her to some good greens!

Latest posts

Back