My bunny fell down the stairs!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babygroot

Reaction score
Hi again,
So my bunny just fell down the stairs and I'm very worried...

Basically what happened was that I let her run outside of my room and I haven't covered the stairs yet because she's usually just in my room and sometimes I walk with her outside my room so that she doesn't do anything she's not supposed to do. Well this time my dad just came up the stairs and I thought I'll just let him keep an eye on her but he didn't think that she would actually go on to the steps. I just got out of room, saw that she was going for the stairs, I was going to stop her but I failed and well, she didn't roll down the stairs but she slid down on her feet with her left side facing downwards, if you get what I mean. Anyway, she slid all the way down and since she slid down on her feet the whole way she hurt one of her nails, cause I just found a nail that had fallen of and it was a little bloody as expected... I can't really check her paw right now and check what it looks like cause she's really uncomfortable with me touching her paws in general and moves as quick as she can as soon as I do.

She running around fine, jumping up and down on her boxes, she's eating her hay and drinking her water. You can see that she's in pain at the moment cause she's not really as active and she's grooming herself quite a lot for the moment.

I'm very worried and scared at the moment and just wanted to know what I should do...

She has fallen form a high place once before and sometimes when I go into my room she get's really excited and jumps out her cage onto her box right beside it a bit too fast and doesn't land quite right and stumbles and then falls onto the floor, but she always lands on her feet like a cat. And other things such as slipping on slippery floor and falling on her side. Running right where I'm walking so I accidentaly kick her. She's never been badly injured at those moments, but she's sometimes in pain for a while and then she's perfectly fine but still I'm very worried.

Hi again,
So my bunny just fell down the stairs and I'm very worried...

Basically what happened was that I let her run outside of my room and I haven't covered the stairs yet because she's usually just in my room and sometimes I walk with her outside my room so that she doesn't do anything she's not supposed to do. Well this time my dad just came up the stairs and I thought I'll just let him keep an eye on her but he didn't think that she would actually go on to the steps. I just got out of room, saw that she was going for the stairs, I was going to stop her but I failed and well, she didn't roll down the stairs but she slid down on her feet with her left side facing downwards, if you get what I mean. Anyway, she slid all the way down and since she slid down on her feet the whole way she hurt one of her nails, cause I just found a nail that had fallen of and it was a little bloody as expected... I can't really check her paw right now and check what it looks like cause she's really uncomfortable with me touching her paws in general and moves as quick as she can as soon as I do.

She running around fine, jumping up and down on her boxes, she's eating her hay and drinking her water. You can see that she's in pain at the moment cause she's not really as active and she's grooming herself quite a lot for the moment.

I'm very worried and scared at the moment and just wanted to know what I should do...

She has fallen form a high place once before and sometimes when I go into my room she get's really excited and jumps out her cage onto her box right beside it a bit too fast and doesn't land quite right and stumbles and then falls onto the floor, but she always lands on her feet like a cat. And other things such as slipping on slippery floor and falling on her side. Running right where I'm walking so I accidentaly kick her. She's never been badly injured at those moments, but she's sometimes in pain for a while and then she's perfectly fine but still I'm very worried.

have you talked to a vet? im sure they will tell you if you should be worried or not :) i would tske a phone camera and try to zoom in on her paws to see if you can figure out whats going on. If shes running around and acting fine i'm a little discomfort won't be too bad. I would def call a vet incase tho

have you talked to a vet? im sure they will tell you if you should be worried or not :) i would tske a phone camera and try to zoom in on her paws to see if you can figure out whats going on. If shes running around and acting fine i'm a little discomfort won't be too bad. I would def call a vet incase tho
Yeah, calling the vet would probably be the best but I usually check here first to get some advise on what I should do. I just got an insurance for her and so I was planning to take her to the vet soon anyway do to a little check-up, so I'll bring this up when I'm there as well.

I think she will be alright since she is moving about and not seeming in much pain. I think it will be good to tell the vet when her check-up is, but is definitely not an emergency. I think the best thing to do is just settle your worries and talk to the vet when you see them.

I think she will be alright since she is moving about and not seeming in much pain. I think it will be good to tell the vet when her check-up is, but is definitely not an emergency. I think the best thing to do is just settle your worries and talk to the vet when you see them.
Okay, I'll do that, thank you!

Hi, that must have been quite a scare for you and your bunny. It does sound like she's okay but I agree mention it to the vet. When I do my daily health checks on Lola, my bunny, I always touch her feet, at first she wouldn't let me touch them. I started by just putting one finger on each foot after a little stroke, she would also sometimes tuck her head under my arm, whilst on my lap and then allow me to check her all over. It's probably going to be hard to inspect your bunnies feet right now if shes in pain. I hope your bunny heals quickly and try not to worry.

Hi, that must have been quite a scare for you and your bunny. It does sound like she's okay but I agree mention it to the vet. When I do my daily health checks on Lola, my bunny, I always touch her feet, at first she wouldn't let me touch them. I started by just putting one finger on each foot after a little stroke, she would also sometimes tuck her head under my arm, whilst on my lap and then allow me to check her all over. It's probably going to be hard to inspect your bunnies feet right now if shes in pain. I hope your bunny heals quickly and try not to worry.
Hi, thanks for your reply! She's been acting like her usual self so I feel a lot more calm knowing that she's feeling fine. I'll try to slowly get her used to me touching her feet for whenever I need to check them or whenever I need to trim her nails. It's not impossible but it's not easy. But I'll try and check out the area where the nail fell off soon again more carefully to make sure it's not getting infected.

Hi, thanks for your reply! She's been acting like her usual self so I feel a lot more calm knowing that she's feeling fine. I'll try to slowly get her used to me touching her feet for whenever I need to check them or whenever I need to trim her nails. It's not impossible but it's not easy. But I'll try and check out the area where the nail fell off soon again more carefully to make sure it's not getting infected.

Our bunny fractured her pelvis and when they are injured it is VERY obvious. In the wild an injured bunny will be killed by the other bunnies or killed by a predator, so their instinct is to hide, and i mean hide and cower in the corner, shaking. She found a corner where she never goes and was very dark and stayed there, when we got her out, she couldn't hop properly. She has made a full recovery, (took her to vet, got X Rays, put her on bed rest and pain meds) but I would say that your bunny sounds ok. Otherwise she would totally be in the corner, not eating and not coming out and even pooping herself out of fear.

Also, please get a baby gate on amazon to install on your bedroom door!!! THis way you can leave hte door open and be sociable but she will not fall down the stairs ever again!! They have ones that are removable easily so you can close your door when not using baby gate. They also have really nice expensive ones you can put at the top of the stairs, which have a little door people can open to pass through, so people don't have to climb over it to go down teh stairs. If your dad is handy, I am sure he would install one for you. If not, get one for your door. :)

Our bunny fractured her pelvis and when they are injured it is VERY obvious. In the wild an injured bunny will be killed by the other bunnies or killed by a predator, so their instinct is to hide, and i mean hide and cower in the corner, shaking. She found a corner where she never goes and was very dark and stayed there, when we got her out, she couldn't hop properly. She has made a full recovery, (took her to vet, got X Rays, put her on bed rest and pain meds) but I would say that your bunny sounds ok. Otherwise she would totally be in the corner, not eating and not coming out and even pooping herself out of fear.

Also, please get a baby gate on amazon to install on your bedroom door!!! THis way you can leave hte door open and be sociable but she will not fall down the stairs ever again!! They have ones that are removable easily so you can close your door when not using baby gate. They also have really nice expensive ones you can put at the top of the stairs, which have a little door people can open to pass through, so people don't have to climb over it to go down teh stairs. If your dad is handy, I am sure he would install one for you. If not, get one for your door. :)
Wow, I'm happy that your bunny made it through all that and recovered well! That must've been really terrifying...

Thanks for telling me that, then I at least can tell that she's not seriously injured. She's been doing well and acting like she usually does so I'm happy we haven't needed to go through everything you had to with you bunny.

And yes, me and my family has been talking about getting a gate or something for the stairs so she wouldn't fall down in the first place. Thanks for the tips on where to buy a gate! I'll check it out and see what I can find! :)

Latest posts

Back