My Bunny Doesn't Like Me Anymore

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm a new member to this forum, and as soon as I can I'll be putting up an introductory post. I'm sorry if I do or post something wrong, I'm new to this! Though I do watch and use this forum regularly, I haven't felt the need to create an account until now.
So, I've owned by mini rex bunny, Sherlock, for about 8 months now. He was a rescue bun, and I adopted him when he was 9 months, so he's about a year and half old (he's also neutered). I researched a LOT before I got him, and I care for him well. Over the months, we've formed a really strong bond. He's super friendly, and loves to be pet. He'd come up to be pet, and would lick and hop all over me. I even trained him to come when I gave a hand signal.
However, just about two weeks ago, he started acting antisocial. This started right after a particularly bad nail clipping session. He lives in a large dog pen in my basement, and as long as I'm home I'll take him out to free roam the whole day. When I'm busy I'll take him out in the evenings. Anyway, for the past two weeks I've been pretty busy and have only managed to take him out in the evenings. I didn't give him as much attention as I usually did either, though I definitely didn't ignore him. I thought nothing of all this, but a few days ago I finally noticed how unfriendly he was being. He rarely comes up to me anymore, usually avoids my hand when I go to pet him, and has completely stopped responding to my hand signaling (to make him come). He does tolerate being pet, but he doesn't seek it out anymore. I really don't know what to do! I figured I'd retry the bonding process, and he seems a little friendlier, but not close to what we had before. He also still zooms and binkies around the room. I plan on continuing with the bonding process for the rest of the week, in the hopes he'll be better. What do you think caused this, and what can I do? He's still eating well, so I don't think it has anything to do with health. Was I just not giving him enough attention, and now he's formed a grudge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I think he is being a stinker and trying to get more attention since his “schedule” seems to be off😂 I would definitely do the bonding process again because that could help with his current moods😂 I once had a bunny who did this! Ask if you have any more questions!

I think he is being a stinker and trying to get more attention since his “schedule” seems to be off😂 I would definitely do the bonding process again because that could help with his current moods😂 I once had a bunny who did this! Ask if you have any more questions!

Ah, okay! Definitely makes sense, he can be a stinker sometimes! Thank you!

As the bearer of food and treats, I notice they will come around. Cosmo was a real turd 6 years ago and we rescued him from death row in Auburn CA as he was a biter and 3 others had adopted and returned. I always tell friends to train the bunny or the bunny will train you. He now licks my legs almost non stop in the morning and comes to me so I can pick him up and put him in his hutch and doesn't even think of biting--he also knows there are treats and veggies in his hutch. Still a brat but a really good bunny--remember that bunnies are bunnies and that's how they behave.

As the bearer of food and treats, I notice they will come around. Cosmo was a real turd 6 years ago and we rescued him from death row in Auburn CA as he was a biter and 3 others had adopted and returned. I always tell friends to train the bunny or the bunny will train you. He now licks my legs almost non stop in the morning and comes to me so I can pick him up and put him in his hutch and doesn't even think of biting--he also knows there are treats and veggies in his hutch. Still a brat but a really good bunny--remember that bunnies are bunnies and that's how they behave.
That’s some really good advice, thank you!

Latest posts

Back