My bunny died.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamskyz

Reaction score
I had just gotten a 4wk old female holland lop on Thursday. She was my everything. She was eating fine and when I left for work yesterday she was just sleeping. Well I got home from work at 4pm yesterday and found that her nose had been running and she looked like she was sneezing. I called the vet and they couldn't get her in any sooner than Tomorrow. Well I had put her in a storage tub while I cleaned out her cage and all of sudden she kept trying to jump out. I finally put her back in her cage and she was fine. The "snuffles" had stopped and she was sitting by the door just staring at me, letting me pet her. All of a sudden it looked like she might of had some small convulsion and then she took off around the cage and it looked like her one side was paralyzed because she wasn't using it, when she got back around to me she just fell over and looked at me and stopped breathing. I think I cried for 4 hours last night and I am still very upset. Is there any out there that has had a similiar problem?Please, any advice would be suffice.

I did, actually. And it was with a little babe like your rabbit (4 weeks is quite young). The vet said it was just an infection that took hold very quickly, and spread to the brain. Being young, and probably weaned too early, he just couldn't fight it off. He died in much the same manner (runny nose, convulsions, acting blind/paralyzed). I was only 8 years old, and absolutely devestated.

I'm so sorry :hug1

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear about your bunny, it's horrible to see them so ill and you feel so helpless.

Debs xx

Thank you everyone.. as much as I miss her.. My fiance took me to buy a new one today... the same kind, holland lop, but he is 8 weeks old. More energetic and more developed.... Im going to take some pictures of him tomorrow and i will keep you updated.. Thank you all so very much for your love and support... It really means alot.

You didn't mention what you were feeding but I feel compelled to add you make sure the pellets you're giving the new one are the same as what it's used to and under no circumstances give it anything other than pellets and hay for the first 5 months.

Please don't think I'm talking down to you, as I'm sure you probably know this already.

bojay wrote:
You didn't mention what you were feeding but I feel compelled to add you make sure the pellets you're giving the new one are the same as what it's used to and under no circumstances give it anything other than pellets and hay for the first 5 months.

Please don't think I'm talking down to you, as I'm sure you probably know this already.
Good point to bring up, bojay!

The young ones are so sensitive to changes in the diet.

A good pet store/shelter will let you know what has been the diet and possibly give you at least a weeks worth of food so the bun can continue their normal diet.

In any event I ask what diet the bun has been on.

Our local shelter and my favorite pet store both use Purina so there aren't too many problems.

~Jim

I am truly sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you will soon be able to open up your heart and home to another one of the sweet and sensitive creatures.

:pinkpansy:

dreamskyz wrote:
Thank you everyone.. as much as I miss her.. My fiance took me to buy a new one today... the same kind, holland lop, but he is 8 weeks old. More energetic and more developed.... Im going to take some pictures of him tomorrow and i will keep you updated.. Thank you all so very much for your love and support... It really means alot.
That's so great you're getting another one. There's nothing you could have done for your first little angel :bunnyangel:, these things just happen, and unfortunately, often. Your new little lopis a very lucky little bunnyto be in your care. Please keep us posted.

sas :tears2:and pipp :imsorry:

I am so sorry that this little girl had to go to the "Rainbow Bridge" at such a young age.
Please, if you get another one, make sure that it is at least 8 weeks old. Your baby
was too young to have been weaned from it's mother and probably why it wasn't
strong enough to survive. It hurts my heart so much to hear when these little innocent beings are taken, much too young, from their mothers and die because their little systems weren't ready to survive without her.

I am so sorry to hear of your devastating loss.

Most young bunnies do not tolerate the stress of weaning, change of environment or change of feed well. In my state (Pennsylvania), it's illegal to sell bunnies under 8 weeks of age for that very reason.

Your new bunny sounds wonderful -- looking forward to photos!

Pam

BabyHollandCollagesmall.jpg

I'm so sorry for your lost. I know how painful it is to lose a bunny. (((hugs)))

FYI,4 weeks old bunnyis way too young to be away from themom. Itshould have beennursing from the mom upto 7 weeks.

lionbunny wrote:
Itshould have beennursing from the mom upto 7 weeks.
The rabbit's milk production begins decreasing at 21 days (approx. the normal time of weaning in the wild). Early weaning is not so much the issue as is the change of environment, temperature, feed, etc. that can create immense stress in such a young rabbit. Domestic rabbits can actually do fine when weaned at 3-4 weeks, however it is more convenient and less stressful for the breeder to leave the kits with the mother until a later age.

Pam

Latest posts

Back