My bunny died at 8 months 💔

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's your decision, we only share our experience here and you decide to follow advice or not.

Just out of interest, your new rabbits are boys or girls? Was Coco neutered? And how old was he when you brought him home
Ok yes I understand thanks.

Coco was neutered at 6 months and was 8 weeks old when I brought him home....new rabbits a they Boys and 8 weeks old ? Xx
One other thing, the babies don't look very strong and healthy to me to be honest, are they coming from a breeder or from shelter or else, were they vet checked?

I think they will need some extra care.

f516034f-5842-478a-afb0-1d9ed1e21247-png.51323

de57d819-ddd9-4381-909c-7f104c50b52a-png.51322
they lossed there mum and have to be feed by The breeder she did say they will be fine she is keeping them another week ? I think I’m going to wait a few months as I will be Devastated if something happened to them xx
I 241A012B-9ABD-4816-90A2-58007C0A0F63.png

Ohh I am in tears for you😪, and send you virtual hugs.
I know your pain and your guilt. But don't beat yourself up over it, Please.
My girl was 4 1/2 when she suddenly sickened then passed and was very traumatic for me as well so I get it.

She was also sneezing and not eating. I took her to the vet and was given antibiotics, pain meds and critical care. No better 8 days later, back to the vet. While waiting in the room my Pretty Pepsipepper kicked out so I ripped the lid off and held her head in my hand as I stroked her with my other. I knew that this was it, and still, I asked her not to leave me.. but she had no choice 💔
If she coulda stayed she would have❤️💔❤️.
I also don't know why she passed. The vet said they did an x-ray and saw gas and sludge but nothing obstructing her nasal passage or lungs.

I had her husbun and feline at home so I brought her home so they could say goodbye and it took me a yr before I could allow my heart to bring my boys a new lady.
Now all is well again in my heart, but I miss my pretty Pepsipepper Pooper every single day ❤️

You will know when it is time to open your heart and home to another. Let your heart ueal first ❤️
This is my fur clan 🥰IMG_20201020_120325860.jpgIMG_20201011_081158529_BURST001.jpg

Ohh I am in tears for you😪, and send you virtual hugs.
I know your pain and your guilt. But don't beat yourself up over it, Please.
My girl was 4 1/2 when she suddenly sickened then passed and was very traumatic for me as well so I get it.

She was also sneezing and not eating. I took her to the vet and was given antibiotics, pain meds and critical care. No better 8 days later, back to the vet. While waiting in the room my Pretty Pepsipepper kicked out so I ripped the lid off and held her head in my hand as I stroked her with my other. I knew that this was it, and still, I asked her not to leave me.. but she had no choice 💔
If she coulda stayed she would have❤️💔❤️.
I also don't know why she passed. The vet said they did an x-ray and saw gas and sludge but nothing obstructing her nasal passage or lungs.

I had her husbun and feline at home so I brought her home so they could say goodbye and it took me a yr before I could allow my heart to bring my boys a new lady.
Now all is well again in my heart, but I miss my pretty Pepsipepper Pooper every single day ❤️

You will know when it is time to open your heart and home to another. Let your heart ueal first ❤️
This is my fur clan 🥰View attachment 51325View attachment 51326

Thanks your lovely message I guess I will feel better as time goes on..... coco will have a very special place in my hart ♥️
Your bunny’s are just beautiful 😍😍
The pain will still be there of your loss, but somehow those sweet little buns manage to open another place up in your heart for them.
Thank you, both are rescues 💞

I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. Please take all precautions before bringing any new rabbits into your house. There are many excellent suggestions here for ensuring the safety of the two young rabbits you intend to bring home.

Ok yes I understand thanks.

Coco was neutered at 6 months and was 8 weeks old when I brought him home....new rabbits a they Boys and 8 weeks old ? Xx

they lossed there mum and have to be feed by The breeder she did say they will be fine she is keeping them another week ? I think I’m going to wait a few months as I will be Devastated if something happened to them xx
I View attachment 51324
I see now, they look a bit underweight and their fur is a bit patchy that's why I asked but it is very understandable if they lost their mother, they need so much love and food and some additional supplements to help them and I understand you want to bring them home as soon as possible. If they are only 8 week old and they can wait for one more week and if you can get a new extra large cage for them to stay in for a couple months, I see it could be quite possible if they only be safe in their large cage until they are 4 months or so.

They are both boys so if you neuter them as soon as your vet can do it like 3,5-4 months, before they start fighting they may stay bonded, but honestly it's a lottery. I have some neutered males easily bonded with other neutered male and at least 3 in my experience were aggressive to each other even after 3 months or more (one after 11 months) after neutering. Two of them were brothers they were neutered same day a year ago after a major fight, they were 3,5 months then, I kept them separately a few months and they were still aggressive to each other every time I tried bonding them during last year. One of them is very aggressive from the beginning to other neutered males, he is nice to females initially but after a few days he starts nibbling and chasing and it was unfair to females to let them being humiliated all the time so he is all alone now, he is fantastic as a solo pet, very friendly and nice to humans but completely unbondable. And it is one year since neutering so I have a very little faith for him.

But sometimes neutered boys can make excellent bond, even better than with a female so as I said it is pure lottery with the babies because they will grow and they will change and you will see their personalities will grow with them.

Good luck anyway and please keep us updated how it goes.

Since they are not well developed for obvious reasons they can become hormonal later than usually boys do. They would do just fine in a large cage with lots of food and care for a couple months and you can take care of the places that need to be thoroughly disinfected during this time. But if you could go for post mortem examination it would just help you with peace of mind, maybe he died of heart attack and your home is safe for them, now you can't be 100% sure.

Last edited:
Also it should be mentioned, even if your Coco was vaccinated against all 3 viruses Myxo, RHDV1-2 and it was more than two weeks since his final shots, there are so many other contagious diseases like E.Cuniculi for example or others and spores can stay in environment for months. I truly want to believe that it was only heart attack but only post mortem can confirm that in your situation.

But maybe you are lucky, time will show that for sure.

Latest posts

Back