My bunny died at 8 months 💔

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenba

Reaction score
I’m absolutely hart broken my bun died on Friday morning and don’t know why feel guilty I couldn’t save him😢

On Thursday nite he was sneezing and shacking his head didn’t eat much then Friday morning his food bowl was full then he didn’t Greet me like his normal self, I took him out of his house he was so limp and breathing very fast, I put some treats out and he didn’t touch them as you can imagine at this point I was getting worried I called the vet at 8.30 and explained the situation I managed to get a appointment at 11 o’clock. He was the same no rapped change apart from him trying to hide away 10.45 i got ready to go to the vets got him in the car stated to drive and he started to move a lot then 2 minutes before I got to the vets he had a Seizure it was Traumatic and hart breaking the vet took him from me and he had passed.... they didn’t explain why so I’m left googling his Symptoms and no answers I’m so heartbroken could I of saved him if I didn’t take him in the car?
Has anyone had this Situation with there buns?

I was adding to friends for coco and Suppose to pick them up tomorrow but now I haven’t got him I don’t no what to do don’t think I can go through this Traumatic Experience again ?

Will really appreciate comments and experiences?

Attachments

• 98427995-4F74-42CF-835A-3EC739EEDD3F.jpeg
    98427995-4F74-42CF-835A-3EC739EEDD3F.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 29
My guess is that he had an upper respiratory infection that turned into pneumonia. Pneumonia is difficult to recover from. Rabbits hide their symptoms when they are sick, so it may have been too late when you found out he was sick. I am so sorry for your loss.

I have no idea what to say that's horrible mine bun looks very similiar and is 8 months old, I'm so sorry for your loss 😭😥

If there were no preexisting respiratory symptoms, most likely cause based on the symptoms that you describe, would be a cardiac arrest. The sneezing that you saw was likely due to a back up of fluids in the lungs, because the heart was no longer functioning normally.

RHD might be a possibility if he wasn't vaccinated, but it doesn't seem as likely to me based on the symptoms that occurred. But being a possibility, it would be a good idea to follow recommended cleaning and disinfection instructions to prevent spread of the virus.

Though pneumonia can cause a rapid decline, it won't cause that sudden of a death if there were no signs of respiratory illness prior to this. So pneumonia isn't as likely a cause.

With no noticeable indications of a heart issue, there is nothing that you could have done. He was already in a critical situation, so taking him in the car to the vet was the right thing. You did your best once you knew there was a problem, and that's all any of us can do. You obviously loved him and he looks like he had a very happy life with you. I know it's hard to right now, but try and take comfort in knowing that you gave him a good life.

If there were no preexisting respiratory symptoms, most likely cause based on the symptoms that you describe, would be a cardiac arrest. The sneezing that you saw was likely due to a back up of fluids in the lungs, because the heart was no longer functioning normally.

RHD might be a possibility if he wasn't vaccinated, but it doesn't seem as likely to me based on the symptoms that occurred. But being a possibility, it would be a good idea to follow recommended cleaning and disinfection instructions to prevent spread of the virus.

Though pneumonia can cause a rapid decline, it won't cause that sudden of a death if there were no signs of respiratory illness prior to this. So pneumonia isn't as likely a cause.

With no noticeable indications of a heart issue, there is nothing that you could have done. He was already in a critical situation, so taking him in the car to the vet was the right thing. You did your best once you knew there was a problem, and that's all any of us can do. You obviously loved him and he looks like he had a very happy life with you. I know it's hard to right now, but try and take comfort in knowing that you gave him a good life.

Thanks for all the messages!

coco was up to date with his injections he had two lots I was Advised by the vets so I’m hoping he had his full Vaccinations...il phone them tomorrow! he was my first bunny so done what the vets said.

I feel so lost without him and my daughters have been crying them self to sleep everynite just can’t describe the heartache of loosing him.

Do you guys think I should pick the two baby buns up tomorrow iv had them reserved 2 weeks ago.
I was so looking forward to bonding them with coco.
I need to let the lady know tonite. 🙈
I know they will have a lovely life here but I have a huge fear that I don’t want to go through this pain ever again.... maybe it to raw after loosing cocoxx

I’m so sorry! I understand, I lost one a month ago 😢 and I was really guilty as well. I also don’t know why he died... On a side note, I thought there weren’t any rabbit approved vaccinations. There are?

Also yes I would pick them up. I got a new bun a couple weeks after Auggie died and he has brought me a lot of joy. Unless you feel it’s too soon which would also be understandable. But I personally would get them.

coco was up to date with his injections he had two lots I was Advised by the vets so I’m hoping he had his full Vaccinations...il phone them tomorrow
[..]
Do you guys think I should pick the two baby buns up tomorrow iv had them reserved 2 weeks ago.
I was so looking forward to bonding them with coco.
I need to let the lady know tonite. 🙈
Since you don't know what caused his death (and you can't get the answer online because the only way to know is post mortem examination if your vet can do that) I would suggest to contact the lady and explain your situation and take a break for at least two weeks or until examination is done and it is clear that it was a heart attack or something that is not contagious and won't put under risk your new rabbits. We don't know why and imagine how would you feel if they would die of similar symptoms.
You should also take time to disinfect thoroughly everything and I would suggest to clean with 5% white vinegar after everywhere, this would remove his scent so your next rabbits will feel more comfortable and won't feel need to mark their new territory. This also depends on their age and if they are already neutered, I guess they are just babies now?
I am sorry about your loss.

I’m so sorry! I understand, I lost one a month ago 😢 and I was really guilty as well. I also don’t know why he died... On a side note, I thought there weren’t any rabbit approved vaccinations. There are?
In the US, no there aren't, but the OP is from the UK where they have an rhd1/myxo and rhd2 vaccination for rabbits.

In the US, no there aren't, but the OP is from the UK where they have an rhd1/myxo and rhd2 vaccination for rabbits.
Good news, they already have a combined vaccine protecting from all three for 12 months period

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/fir...o-protect-against-three-main-rabbit-diseases/

>>First single shot vaccine launches for three main rabbit diseases
Vaccine offers protection against myxomatosis, as well as rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD) caused by both RHD virus strains, and a single shot provides 12 months of protection.

Vet Times
May 06, 2020
sponsor-vet-logo.png

MYXO-inside

MSD Animal Health has launched the first single shot vaccine, Nobivac Myxo-RHD PLUS, that gives rabbits a full 12 months’ protection from the three main infectious diseases in rabbits – myxomatosis, and rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD) caused by classic (RHD virus [RHDV]1) and variant (RHDV2) strains.

Last edited:
Since you don't know what caused his death (and you can't get the answer online because the only way to know is post mortem examination if your vet can do that) I would suggest to contact the lady and explain your situation and take a break for at least two weeks or until examination is done and it is clear that it was a heart attack or something that is not contagious and won't put under risk your new rabbits. We don't know why and imagine how would you feel if they would die of similar symptoms.
You should also take time to disinfect thoroughly everything and I would suggest to clean with 5% white vinegar after everywhere, this would remove his scent so your next rabbits will feel more comfortable and won't feel need to mark their new territory. This also depends on their age and if they are already neutered, I guess they are just babies now?
I am sorry about your loss.
Thanks for all that advice really appreciate that yes they are baby’s 8 weeks old ?

Attachments

• DE57D819-DDD9-4381-909C-7F104C50B52A.png
    DE57D819-DDD9-4381-909C-7F104C50B52A.png
    439.8 KB · Views: 68
  • F516034F-5842-478A-AFB0-1D9ED1E21247.png
    F516034F-5842-478A-AFB0-1D9ED1E21247.png
    379.3 KB · Views: 65
So sorry for your loss. If you are not having a post-mortem I would not introduce new bunnies in your home unless you have cleaned everything with a veterinary grade disinfectant and the bunnies have been vaccinated at least 3 weeks before.

So sorry for your loss. If you are not having a post-mortem I would not introduce new bunnies in your home unless you have cleaned everything with a veterinary grade disinfectant and the bunnies have been vaccinated at least 3 weeks before.
What about if I put them In a complete different room ?and clean everything down ? Thanks

What about if I put them In a complete different room ?and clean everything down ? Thanks
It's your decision, we only share our experience here and you decide to follow advice or not.

Just out of interest, your new rabbits are boys or girls? Was Coco neutered? And how old was he when you brought him home

Personally I would get a post-mortem to rule out VHD. I wouldn't risk bringing unvaccinated bunnies into the home otherwise. These viruses stay in the environment for several months... Bunnies can be vaccinated with Nobivac plus from 5 weeks. It takes 3 weeks from vaccination to develop immunity.

One other thing, the babies don't look very strong and healthy to me to be honest, are they coming from a breeder or from shelter or else, were they vet checked?

I think they will need some extra care.

f516034f-5842-478a-afb0-1d9ed1e21247-png.51323

de57d819-ddd9-4381-909c-7f104c50b52a-png.51322

Latest posts

Back