My bunny confusion.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't weighed her either, but my other bunnies in the past were dwarf rabbit and she's some sort of lop so she already looks huge to me lol

Allow me to summarize and re-state some of the great advice you've received. It seems like you aren't quite grasping some of the repeated suggestions.

Stop feeding any of the mixed pellets -- none at all. She should not receive "just a little." Only plain pellets. Find a measuring cup and -- just once -- measure out 1/4 cup so that you can see what that amount looks like. Aki explained how to transition from one type of pellet to another.

Her exercise area must be bunny-proofed. Every rabbit loves to chew cords. They have to be blocked off. One hour isn't really that much time for exercise. Bunny proof the area and let her have more time.

Don't continually pick her up to let her out and in for exercise. Open up whatever part of the cage/pen you need to so that she can hop out when she feels like it.... and, perhaps more importantly... so she can hop back to her space when she feels like it.

Don't give up at looking to get her spayed -- not only for her health, but also for behavior (can lessen digging and excessive destructive chewing). Ask a rabbit rescue for a vet reference.

Pet store employees seldom know of what they speak. They just try to sell items. Salt licks are unnecessary.

You can see a summary of a proper bunny diet here at my site. Even though you've had rabbits before, it wouldn't hurt to get a refresher. It repeats much of what has already been explained by others on this thread. Perhaps the format and pie chart on the website will make it clearer.

(My site also has bunny proofing tips.)

Last edited:
I will try again to ween her off into some different pellets. I just got so frustrated before because she literally won't eat. The current one I have with some seeds when she's done the seeds she will eat some of the pellets, just always goes for seeds first. Again she rarely licks the salt lick and my other bunny never had one that's why I was like why does she even need it. I can't put her cage on the ground and let her hop in and out of the current cage she has, the small hole in the front is now shes too big for it- she hits her back trying to hop in and out of it. And the cage is too tall for her to hop out the top. The only option is to take off the metal part entirely to get her in and out. I do block off everything but then she starts digging underneath those things to try to get at the cords. I do plan on getting her spayed, I have been looking but its hard to find people in my area who actually care and our good at their jobs. Just a year ago my friends cat got spaying got messed up by the vet and I'm just scared of the same thing happening to her. Since I took her hut out she has been a lot better, again the petstore told me I needed one even tho my other 2 didn't have one and she liked it at first then constantly flipped it. Now the only problem still arising is her moving the litter box our of its place to poop and pee where is was.

Well and the whole pellets thing lol but she's almost out so I'll go try a different one without seeds again this time and mix them like she said

I can't put her cage on the ground and let her hop in and out of the current cage she has, the small hole in the front is now shes too big for it- she hits her back trying to hop in and out of it. And the cage is too tall for her to hop out the top. The only option is to take off the metal part entirely to get her in and out. I do block off everything but then she starts digging underneath those things to try to get at the cords. .

If she can't even fit out of the door of the cage, then it is too small.

If the cage is not on the ground, then again it is also likely too small. (unless it is taking up the space of a dining room table!)

Get an exercise pen, put it on the ground, and voilla! she has a new cage.
It is important that she has access into and out of her cage during exercise time.

Get an 18" x 24" storage container from wal-mart and use that for her new litter box. Top the litter with hay.

If she's digging at your barricade, then use a different method to block it off.

When you change her pellets be consistent!! If she knows you'll eventually give in, then she won't change. You must be more stubborn then her.

It is on a bookshelf in my room. And yes I know it is too small for her. It was the second biggest one you can buy in the pet store and the pet store people told me it would last her most of her life, but it didn't. I'm planning to build her a 3 level multi use cage with an additional level for food storage. I got some great ideas from the cage building post on here, just have to gather the supplies. I won't give in this time I don't like having to buy new pellets just because she won't eat the ones I get. And before I didn't mix the too like the one person on here suggested so I will do that this time and hopefully it'll work out sooner than later lol

Do you think she isn't using the litter box because it is too small too?

Also, can bunnies never ever have things Luke corn and stuff? Because there's lots of things at the pet store as treats that have corn and other things in it

Those treats from the store are junk. Grains are NOT good for rabbits. If you want to give your bunny a treat, then give her an inch long bit of banana every 3 days or so. Or some cilantro or parsley, or Romaine lettuce... as many people have mentioned, most pet store employees don't know much about rabbits. A lot of people consider them rodents, which is why they make those seed/pellet mixes. Hay and a limited amount of pellets (1/4 cup of PLAIN PELLETS per 5 pounds of bunny) should make up the majority of the bunny's diet. Mostly hay. It might take a bit of experimentation to find a type she likes (my buns like Oxbow Western Timothy).

Okay so never. And yeah I got it you don't have to capitalize plain pellets I already said I'm going to try doing it again with the mixing suggestion. The hay did take a bit of figuring out, she only likes timothy hay,and only sunsations brand because it has smaller pieces. Oxbow was one of the ones she would throw half of it on the ground

The litterbox for a rabbit that size would take up a good 1/3 of that cage. Think cat litter box sized.
Cage is definitely too small but as you said youre on that.
Give the pellet switch another shot. If youre buying from petsmart keep in mind if your rabbit doesnt like it they will let you return and try another kind if you keep your receipt. However i would give her a good 2-3 weeks with the new pellet before you write it off as her not liking it.
Hay is far more important anyway. And you dont need brand name either. A big bale from a feed store works too. Timothy orchard botanicle oat etc.... any grass hay. No alfalfa/lucerne.

Wow really, I shop at petland that's the closest to my house and where I got her. They will take food back but as a "donation" to their animals there. No real returns so at the beginning of getting her was burning a big hole in my pocket from trying different pellets and different hay. She didn't like alfalfa hay anyways, but I read online to only give it to baby bunnies. Is that because its fattening? She likes the thin timothy hay. Didn't like alfalfa or orchard grass or I can't remember the other one

Another thing, when my bunny is out running around. At first she's really good, binkying around and being silly. Then the rest of the time she is literally just trying to be bad, digging under things going where she isn't supposed to. Climbing over my blockades, just being bad. She stops running around and starts trying to sneak behind thing to be bad. Is this just because she isn't spayed?

Alfalfa hay has a TON of calcium, which can cause urinary issues. It is also quite high in protein, which most rabbits don't need, and thus it puts stress on their kidneys.

She's probably being bad because she's bored. Have you tried obstacle courses, training sessions, hide and seek type games, etc? It's a struggle to keep my Whiskey busy since he's so dang smart. Those are a few of the things we do with him. He also has many puzzle toys and loves to play chase with the cat (he chases the cat).

Another thing, when my bunny is out running around. At first she's really good, binkying around and being silly. Then the rest of the time she is literally just trying to be bad, digging under things going where she isn't supposed to. Climbing over my blockades, just being bad. She stops running around and starts trying to sneak behind thing to be bad. Is this just because she isn't spayed?
Sounds like shes bored.
Give her stuff to do and things to entertain her. Shes excited after being let out and celebratez but then that inly lasts so long before shes looking for something exciting. Shes not trying to be bad.

Try and find a petsmart or petco. Not sure on petcos policies but petsmart is really good. Petland has some off policies, having worked for the canadian Petland when I was 15 its safe to say they suck in comparison to petsmart LOL

Do you think she isn't using the litter box because it is too small too?

That could certainly play a factor. A larger box is more appealing.
It really isn't a good idea to keep picking her up to get her in and out of her cage for exercise. She needs access back to her cage at will.

If it is going to take a while before you get around to making her cage, then get the exercise pen in the meantime. I actually consider an ex-pen a necessity for bunny owners. They have so many uses from barricades to temporary (or permanent) cages.
I'll show a photo of one in a 2nd post (I have to find it)

Also, can bunnies never ever have things Luke corn and stuff? Because there's lots of things at the pet store as treats that have corn and other things in it

No corn for rabbits. The hulls are indigestible. Pet stores sell many treats for rabbits that are totally unhealthy -- some even dangerous.

Pet smart for me is literally 20 minutes away so getting there and back on a good traffic day would take 40 mins, petland is only 5 mins away and is right by my work so I can walk there right after work then go home easily. Its weird because when she's in her cage she loves to play with her ball, play fetch sometimes. Chew on things. But when I try to do that when she's out she just runs away hides behind something and thumps lol she doesn't like playing with me when she's out of her cage. I do set up my room kind of like an obstacle course, she loves running around everything with some crazy speed. I had a leesh for her to go outside but she outgrew it quickly I have to buy her another one. I. Thinking of setting up something in my living room tho because she just misbehaves in my room, I'm thinking maybe its because that's usually where I take her out. Maybe she's getting bored of this particular space and wants to explore more?

And I should have all the supplies to build her cage within the next couple weeks so I figured that isn't too much longer to have her in the current cage she has. I have a question, so I live in Canada and it gets up to -40 in the winter. I have an attached insulates garage but not heated. We do keep the lawnmower and snowblowers in There but no vehicle. If I built her cage in there and got a little heater, do you think it would be okay? Or would it still be too cold, and would the fumes from the lawnmower and snowblower be too much for her? Its a double attached. Pretty spacious so I could build her a pretty decent area in there if it's okay.

Latest posts

Back