My Bunny Boy Is Here! Advice for a technical first time rabbit owner?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissAlexLee

Reaction score
The last time I had a rabbit was when I was in the middle of highschool, so it's been a good 5 years! And since it was owned and mostly taken care of by my family/mostly my grandparents, I would classify today as being a first time rabbit owner.

I picked up my boy, Webster, today from a wonderful woman who just didn't have the time to give him the time and affection he deserved. He's a beautiful Jersey Wooly that had previously been a show rabbit. Very calm and gentle but definitely dorky as well.

Any advice for me being a first time rabbit owner? At the moment, I'm sort of trying to take things day by day and keep my distance most of the time while he first adjusts to his new home.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20190113_164253_824.jpg
    IMG_20190113_164253_824.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 8
Some advice from me would just to give him some time to settle in and when hes good and ready to come out start the bonding process slowly. Remember to feed lots of greens and fruit(as treat) and have unlimited supply of hay. Hay helps grind down there teeth that way they dont become overgrown and cause further problems. Also if you dont have a big enough cage he will need up to 4 hours of just time to run around and do his own bunny things. Hopefully this helped. :)

Caution though: if he isn't used to being fed greens (or fruits) then don't start suddenly. Greens need to be introduced very slowly and one type at a time. I explain how to introduce greens (and which ones are safe) here.

Do you know the age of your new boy? If he was a show rabbit, I presume he isn't neutered. If not, that's ok as long as you don't intend to try to bond him with another rabbit.

Caution though: if he isn't used to being fed greens (or fruits) then don't start suddenly. Greens need to be introduced very slowly and one type at a time. I explain how to introduce greens (and which ones are safe) here.

Do you know the age of your new boy? If he was a show rabbit, I presume he isn't neutered. If not, that's ok as long as you don't intend to try to bond him with another rabbit.

He's just over a year old, born on December 25, 2017. The lady gave me his pedigree so that was helpful! Don't know for sure if he's neutered but I'm planning on taking him over to my local small animal vet for just a general check up to make sure everything is all good, so I should find out then!

Latest posts

Back