My bunnies :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leema

Reaction score
Hi, so I thought I'd come on here and just tell you about my three beautiful netherland dwarfs. Unfortunately, all three of my rabbits had passed away 2 weeks ago :((. They were soo happy and deeply cared for. It was all of a sudden, like it was so unexpected because they were all fine and happy and ate their hay and pellets. One of them died first, he wasnt playing and was not eating and was shaking(the shaking we thought was normal, but it obviously wasnt). I did call the vets , but it got cancelled and later he seemed fine and was playing with the other bunnies in the garden. I fed him and gave him water (which in hindsight I dont think i should've of ) . I checked on him every 2 hours and I went to check on him at 2o'ckock in the morning and found that he passed. The same morning, he wa buried and we took the other two bunnies to the vets that was the closest to us (35 min drive). When we reached the vets , we told them that our rabbit had passed and we told them to thoroughly check the two and we asked them lots of questions ' one of them started to shake - however, the vet assured me that they were fine and not to worry . He said that the rabbit was mourning or stressed. I also asked him whether i should bring the rabbits inside or whether they can stay outside - we was told outside is fine. The following morning, I went to feed the rabbits as I do and found another rabbit had passed . Tbh I was extremely angry and upset as the vet had told us they were fine. I took the rabbit to the same place as there was no other vet close by . This time it was a woman, I obviously told her my complaints about the previous day but she was adamant that he was a good vet. She gave us medicine for the rabbit and an injection to enhance to eat food. She told us that the rabbit was very ill . The rabbit passed away the next morning. I am still deeply saddened by the deaths. They have been buried next to each other in my back garden. In memory of

So sorry for your loss -- what a terrible, tragic situation! I don't have enough information to help diagnose the problem, but please let us know if you figure out what happened so that we can all learn.

I’m so very sorry for your loss, losing such loving little creatures is never ever easy. Shaking in rabbits is not normal and I’m sorry your vet gave out such misinformation. You said that the rabbit were outside- is it possible that there were extreme drops or spike in temp? Rabbits aren’t good at regulating their body temps in extreme changes. Also could there have been another animal that terrorized them? The shaking definitely sounds like some sort of disease/sickness which may explain that it was passed around between the 3 of them

Sorry for your loss.

Were they vaccinated against RDH1 and 2? I don't know of anything else that spreads and kills so quickly.

I’m so very sorry for your loss, losing such loving little creatures is never ever easy. Shaking in rabbits is not normal and I’m sorry your vet gave out such misinformation. You said that the rabbit were outside- is it possible that there were extreme drops or spike in temp? Rabbits aren’t good at regulating their body temps in extreme changes. Also could there have been another animal that terrorized them? The shaking definitely sounds like some sort of disease/sickness which may explain that it was passed around between the 3 of them
It did start getting colder during that time , but the last rabbit we kept inside so that she stayed warm . There were no other animals as our back garden is completely fenced off even when there were birds, my sisters used to go straight in the garden scaring them off to ensure the rabbits safety. Once we realised the first one seemed a bit off , we kept him separate to the other two. Thank you for your reply x

Latest posts

Back