My bunnies not right

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pellzy91

Reaction score
I have had my bunnies a year and they are and have always been together. One male and one female both I was told are neutered and spayed. I went in the cage to do daily tidy up and came across alott of females fur in a little pile in the corner of the cage. Took her to the vet to get checked but came away not knowing what's happening. Today she's ripping more out and the pile is growing. She's tried taking fur from male aswell. Back to vet came away again and a bill later knowing nothing. They are saying possible pregnancy or phantom, but if she's been done then how? They are offering a scan which I cannot afford to rule out pregnancy but I'm at a dead end. Anyone no what is going on with my flurries please I need advice.
Thabks

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_145227.jpg
    IMG_20190320_145227.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 13
I have had my bunnies a year and they are and have always been together. One male and one female both I was told are neutered and spayed. I went in the cage to do daily tidy up and came across alott of females fur in a little pile in the corner of the cage. Took her to the vet to get checked but came away not knowing what's happening. Today she's ripping more out and the pile is growing. She's tried taking fur from male aswell. Back to vet came away again and a bill later knowing nothing. They are saying possible pregnancy or phantom, but if she's been done then how? They are offering a scan which I cannot afford to rule out pregnancy but I'm at a dead end. Anyone no what is going on with my flurries please I need advice.
Thabks
Looks like a false pregnancy, it is not uncommon my rabbit just had one a few weeks ago. They start pulling fur and nesting on day 15-18 and then in a few days it comes back to normal. If there was a miracle and she got pregnant after they both were fixed then you can give her a nesting box and expect kits in a couple days.
But as it was said above it's not very likely because if they both unfixed they'd have babies earlier if you keep them in the same cage for one year.

Yea they are living together bless them it's so strange I'll get a box to add to the cage just incase I no you said if there's babies it will happen in the next few days I'm not sure if other rabbits could have maybe got into my garden but it's like Fort knox so find it hard to consider how they would have got to her.
Thanks

It could be spring fever(false pregnancy) type behavior. Even spayed does and sometimes even males can exhibit this behavior come spring. Or you could have been given the wrong information and she wasn't actually spayed or him neutered(check for testicles down there), or like you said if a wild male rabbit got into your garden. In which case she could have babies anytime soon. If so then you will want to keep checking the nest to see if any babies show up.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

I would just wait it out. No reason to keep adding expenses by going to the vet, unless there are complications or additional concerns. But the vet can't do anything about spring fever/false pregnancy, and if it is a pregnancy all they could do is confirm or rule it out, and you can know that in a few days time yourself just by waiting.

Now if the behavior were to continue past a few weeks time or you have concerns something health related might be going on, then yes get to the vet for further testing. In unspayed does, especially older ones, something like uterine abnormalities could be a cause for false pregnancy behavior that doesn't stop after a few days time like it normally would.

Last edited:
Looks like a false pregnancy, it is not uncommon my rabbit just had one a few weeks ago. They start pulling fur and nesting on day 15-18 and then in a few days it comes back to normal. If there was a miracle and she got pregnant after they both were fixed then you can give her a nesting box and expect kits in a couple days.
But as it was said above it's not very likely because if they both unfixed they'd have babies earlier if you keep them in the same cage for one year.

This would be completely impossible if they actually did get spayed and neutered, as the female would no longer have the organs necessary to have a baby, and the male would no longer have the sperm to be able to fertilize an egg. Only way she could be pregnant is if she didn't actually get spayed.

This would be completely impossible if they actually did get spayed and neutered, as the female would no longer have the organs necessary to have a baby, and the male would no longer have the sperm to be able to fertilize an egg. Only way she could be pregnant is if she didn't actually get spayed.
I totally agree with you, if she is really spayed it would be impossible but as Pellzy91 said they were told that she is so miracles happen, if someone just wanted to sell or get rid of unwanted rabbit then it is not fully impossible that only male was neutered or they are two females and there was a brief contact with another male about a month ago.
As I said it looks like phantom pregnancy to me, I wouldn't pay for scans etc just wait a few more days and see if she's back to normal. In any case I hope she'll be alright and Pellzy91 will let us know what was the ending of the story.

Thanks everyone I will keep everyone up to date. As for where I got them, they were rescue rabbits I got from a women who looked after rescue animals and she said they were both done. I've tried messaging her to check but she's not getting back to me so I think maybe she's not had the female done just the male.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back