My bunnies mated secretly!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sana Khanam

Reaction score
I have two uneutred bunnies, a buck and a doe.I keep them separately all the time. Today one of them escaped and mated with the other for about half an hour without us knowing.

Do rabbits get pregnant every time they mate? If yes is there any way I can stop this now??
I can't afford to have 10- 12 babies.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Pretty much yes, they do get pregnant most times they mate, they are induced ovulators.
Not 100%, but more than 90%, especially when they are in the mood and it's their own idea.

You can get the doe spayed, ask your vet if he does such emergency spays. Otherwise, no, nothing to do but wait and see if she actually got pregnant. That's sometimes not easy to do, wait 32 days anyway, prepare a nestbox and give lots of hay the last week, if there are no kits by the end of that time she wasn't pregnant.
10-12 are rather rare, espacially with smaller breeds 6-8 are more likely.

Depending on what you feed it doesn't cost that much to raise rabbits, you'll just need more food. It'll be more work when they grow up, and you'll need an extra cage or whatever to seperate boys from girls at 10 weeks if you didn't have found new homes for them by that time.

Pretty much yes, they do get pregnant most times they mate, they are induced ovulators.
Not 100%, but more than 90%, especially when they are in the mood and it's their own idea.

You can get the doe spayed, ask your vet if he does such emergency spays. Otherwise, no, nothing to do but wait and see if she actually got pregnant. That's sometimes not easy to do, wait 32 days anyway, prepare a nestbox and give lots of hay the last week, if there are no kits by the end of that time she wasn't pregnant.
10-12 are rather rare, espacially with smaller breeds 6-8 are more likely.

Depending on what you feed it doesn't cost that much to raise rabbits, you'll just need more food. It'll be more work when they grow up, and you'll need an extra cage or whatever to seperate boys from girls at 10 weeks if you didn't have found new homes for them by that time.
Oh I see. Actually I don't even have enough space to keep more bunnies!
Though I'm looking for a trustworthy vet but will spaying the doe now be safe and stop her from giving kids?

Thank you so much for all the information 🙏I contacted a vet who wants to examine her condition then it'll be decided. I am so nervous 😞

This seems to be a common issue on this forum. Obviously what’s done is done and I believe you’re taking the proper steps. For the future, I think everyone should accept the fact that an unneutered buck and doe living under the same roof may just find their way to each other lol.

This seems to be a common issue on this forum. Obviously what’s done is done and I believe you’re taking the proper steps. For the future, I think everyone should accept the fact that an unneutered buck and doe living under the same roof may just find their way to each other lol.
You are so right! Though my doe is not at all interested in the buck , but on the other hand the only purpose of the buck is to find her all the time.

My Vet told me it's a risk to get her an emergency spay so I don't wanna risk her life. Once she give the kits I'll get them neutred, they will be of appropriate age as well.

Be careful about vets. There are many that say they see rabbits but really have little experience.
Exactly, most of the vets I found had experience in Cats and Dogs, very few seems to have legit experience with bunnies.

Oh I see. Actually I don't even have enough space to keep more bunnies!
Though I'm looking for a trustworthy vet but will spaying the doe now be safe and stop her from giving kids?
When she gives birth first two weeks babies will stay in the nest so no problem but after they open their eyes they will be exploring territory and you will need to limit their space to one large cage so they can stay safe there and they will also pee&poo a lot. But still until they are 6-8 weeks they will eat their mother's milk and while they are still small and can stay all together it's again no hassle for you.
Around 6-8 weeks they will start eating solid food and be prepared they will need lots of food, and also mother must have unlimited high protein pellets during her pregnancy and while nursing so she can produce milk to feed them. That can make up to 2kg per day if you have say 6 babies. That can get expensive. And you can't limit them on food because otherwise they will grow weak and prone to illnesses. She will have also recover so that' a lot of food actually, unlimited hay as usual of course.

When they are between 8 and 10 weeks they can still stay all together with their mother and it is good time to find them new homes. You must act quickly because when they are 10 weeks you will need to separate boys so you will need another cage or playpen, but make sure they can't escape.
Between 10 and 16 weeks boys can stay together (if you are lucky, because some boys will mature early and can start fighting for dominance and spraying walls and humping even when they are 9-12 weeks old, others can stay together up to 5 months, but male rabbits unneutered will fight and can damage each other so you will need to separate them so you will need individual cages for each), girls can stay with mother up to 5 months (again, if you are lucky).

So, if you are able to find new homes for the babies between 8 and 10 weeks, maybe 12, you won't need extra space. Advertise them when they are 6 weeks stating that they are ready to go in two weeks when they are 8 weeks. Rehome boys first. But also do home checks and talk to people rehoming because there are many people getting baby rabbits with bad intentions, they won't tell you they are going to feed their snake with them or use as a dog bait but check their history etc you don't want this for your babies, right?

If you won't be able to find new homes so quickly you will have to buy lots of food they will have to be on unlimited high protein and calcium pellets until they are 4-5 months, then you can start reducing pellets and transfer them to lower protein adult pellets.

Hopefully they will be all healthy and you won't need to pay vet bills.

If you can find a vet who will spay her now you will only pay for that and won't have this min 2 months long baby adventure.

Oh yes, and cleaning after 6-8 fast growing babies and their mother it's lots of fun, every day and maybe twice a day, they won't be toilet trained yet so be prepared :)

Raising babies feeding unlimited and you will need to buy lots of absorbing litter and hay as well, it will cost you more than spay bill for sure.

Well that's a lot of information. Thanks.🙂
I contacted a vet and he is approving to neutre her as well but with the fact that it could be life threatening for the doe.I don't wanna risk her life. I am more concerned about her, than the bills. I know it's gonna be really a lot of work for me even if she give least 6 kits. Guess I have to go through this adventure, I don't see any other option as of now.🤷

Latest posts

Back