My bunnies are scared of me! What can i do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fffl1234

Reaction score
Hello, i have recently adopted four 5 month old dwarf holland lops from their previous owners. They all get along together and are in perfect health, although ever since i got them they seem terrified of me and any other humans. I try to not pick them up but i do attempt to slowly pet them. They will eat from my hand most of the time and even do binkies around me if i lay down and stay still. My problem is even if i move in the slightest way they'll run to their corner, shake a little bit and try to avoid me at all costs. I am not sure what to do besides let them be when they're scared. Btw they're all fixed. Please give any suggestions or help on what i can do to make my bunnies less terrified of me. Thanks in advance.

How long have you had them? Laying down with them in the area is the best way to let them get used to you. Some rabbits can take months to get comfortable with their human. Let them approach you. When they do approach you, do NOT pet them, just ignore them -- at least for awhile. This is how they learn that you are safe.

Later you will be able to start petting them.

Here's a run-down of how to bond with your bunnies. BTW, what are their genders?

How long have you had them? Laying down with them in the area is the best way to let them get used to you. Some rabbits can take months to get comfortable with their human. Let them approach you. When they do approach you, do NOT pet them, just ignore them -- at least for awhile. This is how they learn that you are safe.

Later you will be able to start petting them.

Here's a run-down of how to bond with your bunnies. BTW, what are their genders?
Thanks for the information!! I have had them for almost 3 months now. They're all male except one.

Well... they're, like, 6.5" tall. And you're, what, 65" tall? How would you react to a 650" (54 foot) tall mammal moving around slightly in your room? Because that's totally how they see you. :)

Give them time to acclimate to their new environment, to you, to everything. Spend time with them so they get to know you, and learn that you're an awesome huge mammal they can love and hang out with. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to make friends with giants.

Well... they're, like, 6.5" tall. And you're, what, 65" tall? How would you react to a 650" (54 foot) tall mammal moving around slightly in your room? Because that's totally how they see you. :)

Give them time to acclimate to their new environment, to you, to everything. Spend time with them so they get to know you, and learn that you're an awesome huge mammal they can love and hang out with. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to make friends with giants.
Thank you for the insightful words. I will try to have a more understanding outlook on my rabbits and let them get to know me better

Latest posts

Back