My bun isn't chewing properly... - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani_Marie

Reaction score
I've noticed the last couple days that my seven month old bun hasn't been eating as much and then today when I gave her a treat I noticed it was taking an abnormally long time for her to chew it. Like several minutes. I'm just wondering if its a mouth/teeth issue. From what I've been reading she wouldn't have an appetite and would be lethargic if she had a blockage. But she's really active and seems hungry and she's drinking water. She practically ripped the piece of carrot I just gave her out of my hand but that's when I noticed she was having a hard time chewing it. She just kept switching it from one side of her mouth to the other like she couldn't get a good bite down on it and I didn't hear any of the usual crunching sounds. It looked like a person with no teeth trying to gum a raw carrot. Her front teeth are in perfect condition and are not overgrown or protruding and there is no odor to her breath so I'm wondering about tooth spurs on her cheek teeth. I just know it should not have taken her as long as it did to chew the little piece she had in her mouth. Any ideas?

Definitely get her in to see her vet to have it checked out. If she seems normal otherwise, and is drinking and (trying to) eat normally, it sounds like it could be her teeth. Best to get it sorted soon, in case it starts to significantly affect the amount she's eating, which could lead to GI stasis.

Please do get her to the vet as mine had an episode of not eating but as he recovered so I didn't take him and he now has an abscess under his chin which she might have caught earlier. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Maybe teeth are overgrown as eating like that is discomforting id see a vet ASAP incase something serious could be sorted.

Update on my little bun...I took her to the emergency vet and I had to put her down...hardest decision I ever had to make. She had somehow managed to break her bottom jaw and wasn't eating or drinking at all by this morning. The vet said that even if it did heal on its own, which wasn't likely, it would mean misalignment of her teeth and a lifetime of biweekly trips to the vet to have them filed down. Extremely stressful for her and hard on her organs because they'd have to anesthetize her each time to do it. The more likely outcome would have been starvation and dehydration so I had to let her go :'( But thank you to everyone that tried to help. I really appreciate it.

How heartbreaking for you and so hard to do the right thing for her. My thoughts are with you and your little baby is off binkying over that bridge. RIP sweetheart.

I'm very sorry to hear that😰 I've luckily never had to make that decision but do understand how hard it is to loose a pet😥 R.I.P I'm sure you were an amazing bunny🐰😭

WOW
That is terrible.

I am so so sorry for you and for her. 7 months is way too soon to go :(

At least she is not suffering anymore and hopefully she is munching on dozens of dandelions over the Rainbow Bridge. xoxo

Latest posts

Back