My Buck escaped and found my Doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbiec

Reaction score
Hi there all

My names Abbie and i have two Lionhead bunnys im new to the site and new to bunnys' all has been going well until today when there was a little problem....
My un neutured Buck (4 months) Got to my 5 month old (unneutured) Doe this morning!! to my horror he had scaled a huge door gate and the obvious happened... he did the typical fall over with grunt before i had time to seperate them. she was showing her bits off but i have read that when females are on heat her bits go purplely pink? she had no sign of that, so will she be pregnant i was hoping to wait another month or so before they breed. Any one have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

Rabbits don't have a heat cycle the way cats and dogs do, they are induced ovulators. That means if they do the deed then they are pregnant.

I would highly recommend an emergency spay right away to abort the babies and prevent this from happening again. It also removes the likely chance she has of developing reproductive cancer down the road.

A buck 4 months old may or may not be 'shooting blanks' at that age. A 6 month old doe isn't too young to kindle safely. She'll be 6 months when that happens. If you were planning to breed anyway then I would wait and see if she's pregnant. You might make some changes, though, so it doesn't happen again before you're ready.

Latest posts

Back