My boys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah92

Reaction score
I thought why not make a bunny blog since I love to blog and with just getting a new bunny I could write about the boys bonding.

But first I will tell you about Snowy- she was my first bunny and I can't explain how much I loved her! She was just so loving, always wanted pats and had the most adorable little personality ever.
She LOVED people and would thump her feet and scratch on her cage door so you would come over and pat her :p
She learnt how to open the cage doors and I would find her running around the back yard happy as could be :p so cheeky she would hide where she knew I couldn't catch her so she didn't have to go back.

Unfortunately when I got snowy I was only 15.. I didn't have a job and couldn't pay for her to be spayed. 6 years latter she ended up with cancer because of that

I lost her just over 2 weeks ago. I miss her loving little face everyday. But its getting easier.

~~~

Nudge is my other bunny. I adopted him nearly 2 years ago now. But he is nearly 3 as he wasn't a baby when I got him.

Nudge is a Mini Lop, and before coming to me was used for breeding.
I don't think Nudge got much attention from his previous owners.. he is a happy bun, but doesn't really like being carried around. But is happy to get a pat.
Nudge LOVED snowy from the start, he was constantly licking her and in her last days really looked after her.

When Snowy passed I really felt like Nudge was grieving with me, I know bunnies can grieve for their mates. I felt like Nudge was depressed sitting in his cage alone and considered if I would get him another bunny

~~~~

nearly 3 weeks ago a male bunny was dumped at a pet store where my friend worked- when I say pet store I mean a pet supply store- they don't sell cats,dogs,rabbits,etc.
Luckily she took him in and was looking for a forever home for him.

I felt like it must be a sign that I lose snowy and then there is a bunny that needs a loving home.

So we had a play date and all went well

I was nervous that 2 boys wouldn't get along, but so far everything is going fine

~~~

I brought Benjamin (rescue bun) home today. He had lots of fun exploring the big back yard and trying out his new cage.

When Benjamin was dumped his ear was swollen and infected from a bite from another animal, its still swollen but the vets said it might not ever be normal as its scared. He was also covered in fleas and very dirty.

I am starting to suspect that he might have just been living in someones backyard and not living in a cage.
The reason I say this is:

-it was a hot day when he came for the play date, he was very relaxed outside and immediately found a shady spot, dug a hole and lied in it to cool down as if he had done that lots of times before.
- today when I put him in the hutch he tried to dig, I don't know if this is normal bunny behavior and he was just checking things out but he seemed confused to me.
- Later in the evening I went to say hello to him, and open the cage door. He immediately tried to bolt out of the cage (maybe he was just being cheeky?)

but considering he had fleas, was dirty, and obviously not well looked after I can't imagine him having lived in a nice cage anyway..

Anyway tomorrow I am taking Benjamin to the vet, he will have his ear checked, be neutered and vaccinated.

Last edited:
Today benjamin was neutered and vaccinated.
The poor thing was at the vets all day because they postponed his operation to afternoon instead of morning.
I only just got him back at 5.30 and he is still tired and groggy from the operation.

His staying inside with me for the night, hoping he will start to eat some food soon and drink some water.

I have medication for him called Loxicom which I have to give him once a day for 5 days.

I'm so sorry you lost Snowy. I'm sure you gave her a wonderful six years of life!

He may not need the Loxicom (more commonly known in the US as metacam/meloxicam) for five days - neuters are relatively uninvasive and 2-3 days is plenty for many bunns. However, there's no harm in giving him the five day course just to be safe.

Benjamin is incredibly lucky to have found a good "forever home" after getting off to such a rough start in life - best of luck in bonding your two boys!

I'm so sorry you lost Snowy, she sounded like a wonderful bunny!

Benjamin is adorable! I'm so glad you rescued him, now he'll have a great home. :) Good luck bonding your two boys!

Latest posts

Back