My bonded pair re-establish dominance every month?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little update for today: Luna has been chinning everything like crazy. She has been peeing all over the carpet and runs at Cosmo with her tail raised and grooms his face excessively if she isn’t trying to mount him. She also makes a little buzzing noise when she is near him. It has been 5 days now and it’s not really getting better /: Luckily I have a lot of time to spend monitoring them, but it is getting quite stressful and a little exhausting. If anyone has some advice for me that would be wonderful!
She has even started to chin Cosmo’s head!! I have no idea what to do at this point, since separating them would cause wayyy too much stress since they still are bonded to eachother

Well, some of their behaviour comes from the brain, and with days getting longer something can get switched on there too, not just in the ovaries. She is young, so there's a lot of energy. Seems she has very strong instincts, well, that's something to live with, but quite likely it will get better.
Spring fever can last a few weeks, and return e few times over the year (with intact does, my spayed one doesn't show any, but she's a calm girl anyway)

I have a (intact) 8yo doe like this, my smallest, most pigheaded, dominant and confident rabbit, she's my favorite :)

Attachments

• Schwarze krank3.JPG
    Schwarze krank3.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
Well, some of their behaviour comes from the brain, and with days getting longer something can get switched on there too, not just in the ovaries. She is young, so there's a lot of energy. Seems she has very strong instincts, well, that's something to live with, but quite likely it will get better.
Spring fever can last a few weeks, and return e few times over the year (with intact does, my spayed one doesn't show any, but she's a calm girl anyway)

I have a (intact) 8yo doe like this, my smallest, most pigheaded, dominant and confident rabbit, she's my favorite :)
Thanks for the info! I’ve been researching a lot on spring fever, and as of now I’m just trying to cope with the territorial mess + stress!! She’s 9 months old so still a teenager, and very strong willed. Luckily my buck is such a patient little sweetheart, and is becoming very tolerant of her little outburst! Is there any thing you have done to prevent this/ get it over with quickly?

When mine are a PITA to their room mates they get more opportunity to burn that energy off, like more garden time and digging tunnels. Isn't an option for everyone, but a digging box might occupy her for some time. And tree branches to gnaw on.
Offering something like a table low enough that a rabbit just fits under and can't be humped might give the buck a way to avoid it.
Otherwise, there isn't much that can be done, that's how rabbits are.

When mine are a PITA to their room mates they get more opportunity to burn that energy off, like more garden time and digging tunnels. Isn't an option for everyone, but a digging box might occupy her for some time. And tree branches to gnaw on.
Offering something like a table low enough that a rabbit just fits under and can't be humped might give the buck a way to avoid it.
Otherwise, there isn't much that can be done, that's how rabbits are.
Thanks for the suggestions! They sadly can’t leave my room, since I have a dog who wouldn’t be very nice to them, and I live in an area with a lot of hawks so going outside isn’t safe for them either ): I do already have a dig box for her which she loves, so maybe i’ll add a few more toys for her in the dig box and fix it up a bit to see if that helps any.

Alright, so i’m becoming a little desperate. It has been 7 days since this all started, and it has only gotten worse. I’ve gone through an entire bottle of carpet stain remover from how much she is marking, and my poor cosmo has bald spots on his butt from her pulling his fur ): I can’t stand the thought of her hurting him! They both sleep under my bed, and today when i checked on them, the underneath of my bed is FILLED with poop that smells AWFUL! She’s completely acting like an unspayed rabbit, even though the last 6 months have been so stressful as a result of her spay. She’s just getting more and more aggressive and He last thing in the world I want is to ruin their bond ): Should I put her in an X pen and give him a break? He loves her so much I hate the thought of separating them, I just genuinely don’t know what to do anymore. Either way, he will might get stressed or hurt. Any help or advice is appreciated, I’m so desperate for relief from this at this point

I would put her in an x-pen where he can still groom her. She needs to calm down or she is going to seriously hurt him. If she continues to bully him he is going to build up anger and eventually going to have enough and attack her, which will be extremely dangerous. Keep her in the playpen until she calms down. Good luck!

I would put her in an x-pen where he can still groom her. She needs to calm down or she is going to seriously hurt him. If she continues to bully him he is going to build up anger and eventually going to have enough and attack her, which will be extremely dangerous. Keep her in the playpen until she calms down. Good luck!
Thank you, I’ll try that today when she wakes up later. Will i need to rebond them later if they’re just separated by an X pen?

Latest posts

Back