My binky was put to rest, please read.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corinne dodds

Reaction score
Had too put my binky boy down this morning 😥. As I opened his cage I just knew he wasn't right.. he just lay there, he went too his water bowl & sat there so I got a syringe and he was drinking the water that way, so my partner took him upto the vets where she said he had G.I statis & he was cold.. they placed him on a heat mat & my partner asked for it straight and she said she was sure he was dying so the best decision was the most heartbreaking one.. the thing that breaks my heart more is it took 3 lots of anesthesia too put him too sleep *he had pain Meds & looked comfortable* now my anxiety is through the roof thinking he could have gotten better, why did it take so long, did he feel it? I'm in bits thinking the wrong thing was done! 😭 it killing me knowing it took 3 bits of anesthesia too finally take him to his final bed! Someone please tell me it was the right thing!

Hmmm... it sounds like decisions were made based on what the vet said and suggested. Can't fault yourself for that. Whether or not the vet was truly rabbit savvy is something else entirely.

The first morning a rabbit refuses food is indeed the first signs of GI stasis. There are numerous methods available to jumpstart that gut motility. A rabbit does not naturally die of GI stasis in the first day of the first signs. Gas meds can be given, gut motility meds, pain meds, gut massages... a number of things can be done to get them back to normal. They don't always work, but generally are quite successful when treated early.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Bunny_201.pdf

It depends if there were any other symptoms going on besides lack of appetite and lethargy, and if it was only GI stasis from stomach upset or the lack of appetite was due to a more serious illness, as to whether or not anything more could have been tried without unnecessarily prolonging your rabbits suffering. But like Blue Eyes said, it's not your fault regardless, as it was done based on your vets recommendation.

So sorry to hear about your loss.I'm not going to come out with a lot of fine phrases that don't mean a lot- I know first hand how awful you must be feeling,and it's bound to haunt you,but you were guided by the vet,and possibly wrongly so.Beating yourself up won't bring him back and please be a little forgiving of yourself-you obviously care a tremendous amount and were doing the best you knew how.

We're so sorry for your loss. Second guessing will do you absolutely no good. Instead, focus on the good times and the joy you brought to each other. I was questioned about my numerous posts--we've rescued more than 50 and on the anniversary of their leaving, I post a remembrance and think of the joy they gave us rather than dwell on the hurt the loss brought. They are all still with me in my memories.

I understand your second guessing what happened. It shocks me that the vet didn't make any attempt to treat the GI stasis. It is treatable if diagnosed early on but in the later stages, many buns die anyway, even with treatment. But...why not try? I wouldn't go to this vet again or if needed, definitely ask more questions regarding what could be done. Many people think the physicians/vets are all knowledgeable and shouldn't be questioned and that just isn't the case. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I’m so so sorry for your loss, I had a similar situation about 4 years ago and to this day I still wonder if euthanasia was the right choice.. but you can’t beat yourself up, rabbits are so incredibly fragile, it’s not your fault, my thoughts are with you, give yourself time to grieve but do not blame yourself ❤️

I am sorry for your loss. I almost cried myself reading your post, but he is happy right now, no pain or anything, remember that.

Latest posts

Back