My Benjamin is not doing well, and I don't know why

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds to me like he is doing better. I thinkthat antibiotics can "kick in" quickly so maybe its a combination ofthe food , fluids and medication Sounds like you're doing the rightthing. :)

Increased fluid consumption will perk a rabbitup pretty quickly. A temp of 100 would be on the low range of100-102. My vet thought Mr. Z hada fever when he was at102. When I took him back it was 104. She said shehad check and the 102 was at the high end of the normal range.

Ed

He definalty seems to have more energy andinterest in life today. I wish I knew if that was becuase of themedicine or the pumpkin and extra fluids I have been giving him everyday. What I have been giving him is the canned pumpkin mixed withorange juice, enough to make it runny. He seems to be drinking ok, butI think I will get him some Pedialyte tonight too. Keeping a littlemore fluid in him can't hurt. When I go out to check on the "kids"tonight, if he has eaten some hay I will know we are winning this. Thatwould also tell me it probably isn't his teeth.
He is so easy to give meds to, its' fabulous. He makes faces over thetaste of the meds, but other than that no fuss at all! When I had togive Big Mama antibiotic for her foot, it was a huge (literally!)wrestling match to even hold her head still and get the stuff in hermouth. Instead of, you know, her eye, or her ear, generally unhelpfullplaces like that, LOL.
Ben is just such an easy going teddy bear of a guy, I think he is evenstarting to enjoy being help upside down to take his meds and pumpkin!I will have to see if I can get someone to take a pic of it for me, toshow off to you guys. I have orange stains on the left shoulders of allmy shirts now from him being such a messy eater, though, LOL!

I think that its a combination of all that youare doing. I think that Pedialyte is a better choice than orange juicebecause of the acid. Remember when Joey was sick. He was just thehardest to feed that you could ever imagine I hadto change my clothing after each feeding and I had critical careallover the floor ,:star:wall and myself. Keep up the good work withBenjamin

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Ben isnot progressing. He perked up significantly when we started the medsand the syringe feeding, but he has stopped moving forward. So, he hasan apointment with Dr. Welle for Friday afternoon. That is the soonestI could get him in, because of the clinic being an hour away and notbeing able get away during the week. I am really praying that this willbe something like his teeth. So far as I know/have read, that should besomething easy to fix.
I am really, really hoping that we comehome from this trip with the problem fixed, and my Ben can get on theroad to recovery. I think seeing himtuck into his hay like he used towould be enought to make me cry with joy at this point. He is such awonderful boy, and we have bonded even more with all the time I havespent cuddling him and coaxing water and food and meds down him...
Please, everyone keep us in your thought and prayers that Friday turns out well.

:pinkpansy:Thanks for the update onBen. I hope theyget this figured out onFriday. I know you must be feeling very frustratedat this point. Seems like Ben is is being so sweet with hisfeedings and all. My Trixie is a 9 and a half lbrabbit and that is a lot of rabbit to try to syringe feed so that mustbe quite a site to see you feeding Ben. It is so funny, theydo seem to trust you more after they have been sick and you spend a lotof time with them trying to get them better.

That happened with both of my rabbits. That is atough way to get a closer bond but it was a welcomed aspect after allwas said and done.

Just know that we will all be thinking about you and Ben on Friday and once for all we want you to have answers!!!!

Beckie :purplepansy: :eek:rangepansy::purplepansy:

He's stil very droopy. Better than when Istarted the syringe feeding, but still not good. Yes, he is stillgetting the pumpkin and Pedialyte twice a day. When I am feeding him, Ijust drape him upside down across my lap, and he is so relaxed his backlegs hang limp, LOL! It's really funny, because when he is lying thereall relaxed, if he hears a funny noise, or my dog walks into the barnor something, his ears and his back legs both go boing!Straight up! :D It's very cute.
He is so much of a baby, when he isat the vets and gets nervous, it makes him feel better for me to turnhim over and hold him like a baby. I just sit there and rub his face,and he almost falls asleep even at a stressful time.
I think he may be getting addicted to the pumpkin, I may have to weanhim off it when he gets better! If I take to long refilling the syringewhen he is eating, he strats to sit up and look for the syringe, headbutting my arm until he gets more.

;)Is he pooping and peeing normal?What about his coat and eyes? Are his eyes bright or dull looking.? Itsounds sort of like his main symptom is being very quiet and inactive.I really hope the vet on Fri. know rabbits well . You and Benjamin aregoing through so much. I hope that he can be diagnosed correctly.

Since the vet is not near, when you take him, ifthe vet gives any shots etc, they may be medications you can giveyourself as well as fluids. Ask the vet, it is a long time towait for a sick rabbit to get to the vet.

Ed

Ed... you're right. It would be best to haveeverything done like ultrasounds,bloodwork, x-rays etc. because it is along time for a sick bunny to wait.

His poops have been normal. I have a hard timeknowing about his pee, it just runs out onto the barn floor, or soaksinto the litter in his cage. I don't think it has been less thannormal, his litter has been wet when I have cleaned his cage. I hadn'treally thought about it though. I need to make a list to take to thevet's Friday so I don't forget anything. His coat is very dry looking,loose and starting to fall out. His eyes don't look dull to me, he hasalways had such beautiful dark brown eyes with these great longeyelashes... sigh. I have never had this much problem with figuring outa disease in any of my pets. Thankfully, my rabbits have been veryhealthy for the most part. ~knock on wood!~ I will post back on theresults of his appointment, thanks everybody.

Ok, here is the update on Ben.
Dr. Sanders is who he actually saw, but she is excellent with rabbitsalso. We did x-rays, bloodwork, dental exam under anestesia and thewhole nine yards. His teeth are fine, which actually kinda burst mybubble, I was hoping it would be something easy to fix like that.Anyway, his liver enzymes are up, but Dr. Sanders said she thought thatwas from him being overweight before. What she thinks is really theproblem is that his heart is enlarged. I'm taking him back next weekendfor an ultrasound so she can measure the ventricles.
So I am mulling this over in my head. It would mean he would live, butmight be on meds the rest of his life, depending on the severity of hisdefect. It would also mean I couldn't use him for breeding anymore, forobvious reasons. I will be very sad if I can't breed him anymore, hemakes beautiful babies with their daddy's temperment, but I can livewith it. So that's the news so far, until next week's ultrasound.

Oh, I hope Ben comes out of this okay...:(

I'll be keeping him in my prayers, the sweet boy (praying that the ultrasound report comes out good).

(((Ben)))

So sorry it wasn't something simple, GG. :(

But at least its something that you have caught early and that mightmake all the difference. Two much-loved giants on this board,Apollo and Vash, recently died very suddenly of heart attacks -- three,if you count Apollo's young sister. I guess with differentbreeds prone to different ailments, its wiseto watch thegiants' hearts.

Here's hoping he'll enjoy a long and happy, albeit celibate,life.

Kudos to you for caring enough to go the distance for a nose-to-tail exam.

Bunny ears the world oversalute you.:apollo:

SAS (and Pipp):hug:

Latest posts

Back