My Backyard Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am horrible at updating this! :oops: 😔
Anyway, I have had been so bored from being stuck at home so I figured I should post on here. Wednesday was a week since Theo last had medicine and he has been doing really well! Yesterday morning I gave him some pellets because I was stupid, and it gave him gas. I gave him a tummy massage and fresh hay and he got over it. Today he has been acting completely normal! I want to thank everyone who helped me get him better! I don't think he would have made it if it was not for you guys! 😍😍😍

I was thinking since I am really bored, how about you share your rabbit's favorite toys?
Theo loves maple tree branches from our yard (I have stripped the tree bare 😂), woven toys, and the Kaytee hanging toy.

Oops! Sorry, I got busy which is strange based on the fact that I'm in quarantine 😂 I also started thinking that nobody cared about this anymore so maybe I should just stop updating.
I do sort of have an update: Theo felt great yesterday, but today he felt bad again. It really goes back and forth with him. I know he has a tooth issue but I'm also thinking he might have worms because he has abdominal pain and will sometimes push his belly to the floor. By night time he normally starts feeling better which is great. I want to take him to the vet but with RHDV2 and Covid-19 going around I don't want to risk it. Anyway, since he was feeling great last night I took a lot of pictures! Sorry that they are blurry, it is so hard to take pictures with a flashlight and him doing binkies everywhere!

Attachments

• 1587172413124.png
    1587172413124.png
    542.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 1587172464653.png
    1587172464653.png
    571.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1587172520722.png
    1587172520722.png
    450.5 KB · Views: 11
So, a few things wrong here. Theo is outside. When a rabbit is recovering from something, they are very vulnerable to parasites and diseases. Also, it is extremely easy for your rabbit to get hypothermia or hyperthermia. Does your rabbit use a water bottle? If so, he is most likely dehydrated. Rabbits drink as much as a large dog in a day, and water bottles just don’t provide enough. The inside of the water bottles quickly accumulate germs and they are very difficult to clean. Switch him to a big ceramic bowl and move him inside. He does not need a cage. Move his litter box, hay, toys and water bowl into a room. Make sure all cords are out of the way as well as anything he can chew. You can find great videos on how to bunny proof on YouTube. I suggest the one by LennonTheBunny. Hope Theo gets well soon!!

Oops! Sorry, I got busy which is strange based on the fact that I'm in quarantine 😂 I also started thinking that nobody cared about this anymore so maybe I should just stop updating.
I do sort of have an update: Theo felt great yesterday, but today he felt bad again. It really goes back and forth with him. I know he has a tooth issue but I'm also thinking he might have worms because he has abdominal pain and will sometimes push his belly to the floor. By night time he normally starts feeling better which is great. I want to take him to the vet but with RHDV2 and Covid-19 going around I don't want to risk it. Anyway, since he was feeling great last night I took a lot of pictures! Sorry that they are blurry, it is so hard to take pictures with a flashlight and him doing binkies everywhere!
Looks like he had loads of fun. Apollo's been sulking because I couldn't let him out of my room to play because of his sore hocks... He'll get over it. I love Theo, I'm going to have to steal him from you and take him back to England with me! Don't stop updating! I like reading it! If he has worms, you'd likely find some in his poop, so check his litterbox.

So, a few things wrong here. Theo is outside. When a rabbit is recovering from something, they are very vulnerable to parasites and diseases. Also, it is extremely easy for your rabbit to get hypothermia or hyperthermia. Does your rabbit use a water bottle? If so, he is most likely dehydrated. Rabbits drink as much as a large dog in a day, and water bottles just don’t provide enough. The inside of the water bottles quickly accumulate germs and they are very difficult to clean. Switch him to a big ceramic bowl and move him inside. He does not need a cage. Move his litter box, hay, toys and water bowl into a room. Make sure all cords are out of the way as well as anything he can chew. You can find great videos on how to bunny proof on YouTube. I suggest the one by LennonTheBunny. Hope Theo gets well soon!!
I know he is outside, and I have been working on bringing him inside, but since my parents are against indoor animals it makes bringing him inside a huge challenge. I have already rabbit-proofed my room and have everything for him to come inside, but my parents won't allow it. They think that since he has been outside for his whole life why does he suddenly need to move inside. If I am able to convince my parents, and he is able to move inside he won't have a cage, he would just have a home base (see picture). Theo has a water bottle and two bowls, but he only uses the bowls. I have 2 bowls because I figured he was getting dehydrated and wanted him to be able to get to water quickly. Any tips on how to convince my parents are appreciated! I want him to come inside so bad because I know it is best for him.

Attachments

• 2020-03-30.jpg
    2020-03-30.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 13
Looks like he had loads of fun. Apollo's been sulking because I couldn't let him out of my room to play because of his sore hocks... He'll get over it. I love Theo, I'm going to have to steal him from you and take him back to England with me! Don't stop updating! I like reading it! If he has worms, you'd likely find some in his poop, so check his litterbox.
Theo would hate me if I didn't let him out! I'm sure Apollo will be fine, hope his sore hocks get better! Maybe we should swap rabbits sometime, instead of you stealing mine? Nah, that would be chaos! I have gotten behind in school so I might forget to update, but I will try to remember. I have checked his litter box for worms and I haven't seen any. I can't wait for all of this RHDV2 and Coronavirus stuff to pass so I can take him to the vet so he can finally get better. I also am hoping the vet tells me to move him inside because it will make convincing my parents so much easier.

So a couple of things...
if he’s having problems with pellets maybe it’s the pellets and not him. We have a bun that we rescued and he had recurring gi stasis and had never been fed hay. When we switched him to Sherwood pet health pellets he improved so much and now eats like a normal bunny and hasn’t has any issues for over a year.
Regarding bringing him indoors; Lennon The Bunny YouTube channel has a rabbit debunking myths video which addresses rabbits living out doors. All else fails call your vet and ask if your rabbit would do better indoors especially given that he’s prone to GI stasis etc. Most likely, if you have a rabbit savvy vet they would tell you your bunny should be living indoors. Ask you vet to talk to your parents. Our vet office has handouts for different animals that detail living conditions, exercise requirements, food requirement etc, maybe your vet has something similar for bunnies.
Here’s a link to the YouTube video I mentioned:

if he’s having problems with pellets maybe it’s the pellets and not him.
He hasn't gotten pellets for several weeks and has still been acting sick. Even with a hay and water only diet. I think I'm going to try Small Pet Select or Sherwood pellets.
My parents already know that it would be best for him to move inside, but they won't let him. They also already know all the myths about rabbits so there is no reason to show them that video. My mom said that if they had known Theo would have needed to move inside, they never would have gotten him for me. I will talk to my vet and see what they think.

Theo has been doing great! He is not very playful from 10 AM-6 PM, and he doesn't poop, but he still eats and drinks. The rest of the day he acts completely normal (playing, pooping, eating). I had a friend over today and he loves her! He binkied the whole time she was over.
I have been bonding Theo with a tunnel because he is scared of it 😅 He still won't run through it, but he is getting close.
Sorry, the photo quality is not great.

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_165732 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200425_165732 (2).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200425_165801 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200425_165801 (2).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back