My baby twitches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperdog

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced their rabbit to twitch? It is intermittent but noticable. She does not appear to be in any distress. I took her to the Vet - she twitched in the exam room and he was able to check her eyes heart and mouth while she was twitching. Everything checked out ok. He said to watch her and if the symptoms worsened he could put her on an anticonvulsive med but only as last resort. She is not getting worse but she still twitches. The twitching is mostly noticable with her head but her body jerks too and it never lasts very long. She is eating and drinking etc. just fine. Anybody had a similar situation?? Thanks;)

Can you describe what you mean by "twitching"? Does it look like a seizure or does it look like a dog shaking itself dry (if that description makes any sense:))? If it looks more like the latter, then it might just be the precursor to a binky (which is perfectly okay).

Well, its hard to tell without actually seeing it, but it does sound like an almost-binky. Devon jerks almost like he's trying to flop over and then binkies.

Does your vet deal with a lot of rabbits? If these are binkies, I'm surprised that he/she hasn't realized it.

No. She is usually just sitting resting when she twitches. But just so I am sure - is a binky when they are excited and jump in the air while they run???

Yes, they usually jump into the air when they binky. However, mine have been known to binky without jumping in the air.

What you're describing really doesn't sound like a seizure (or anything else dangerous) to me. Regardless, I'd continue to keep an eye on her.

My vet is very educated in rabbits. I went through a lot of trouble to find him because not many vets deal with rabbits. He also has one of his own. Also when I saw him he asked me if Pepper had eaten any cigarette butts or had been in an ashtray. He said this could cause brain damage in rabbits. I said no. But I did catch her licking the stairway wood. I have it covered now I thought maybe she was licking off the varnish.

Rabbit-savvy vets are a rare find, aren't they? Since she's not jumping in the air, its understandable why he didn't think they were binkies.

When she was twitching in the office I actually had her in my arms cradled like a baby. It was really fortunate that she "twitched on demand" for him so he could see what I was talking about. Yes vets that know about rabbits are rare so when you find one you stick with him or her.:cool:

My baby bunny was doing this the other day. It was like her body was having little spasms sort of. She kept on doing it even when I picked her up and they definitely weren't binkies. She has been very sick lately so her twitching could be part of all that. I described it to the vet and she wasn't sure and the rabbit hasn't done it since so I'm hoping it was nothing more to worry about.

Well what my baby does doesn't look like that, they are definitely not binkies I assure you although I can't speak for the original poster. The thing my baby was doing almost looked like she had the hiccups, you know how when you have the hiccups really bad you can't help but jerk a bit involuntarily? She looked kinda like that, was sitting completely still except for the jerking/twitching.

That is a good way to describe it. I guess they could be hiccops but it seems like if I distract her they seem to go away faster. Could be I am making her move around so they are less noticable to me. But she hasn't eaten when this happens. It could be a digestive thing I guess.

Latest posts

Back