My baby diamond dove

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My diamond doves have now had their 3rd baby in as many months. They live in a community cage with other bird species. Just thought it was so cute to see the newest baby on the cage floor being snuggled between another diamond dove and a button quail! :D

Attachments

• 20190716_195205edit.jpg
    20190716_195205edit.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 25
They must've been very well taken care of.:) Gouldian's are supposed to be difficult to breed I heard.
I've been hoping my Parson's Finch would breed. They lay eggs all the time and sit on them but none have hatched.

The diamond doves keep sitting on a pile of eggs. Only one hatches at a time. I know many of those eggs are not viable but don't know which ones -- so I just leave them in there. (doves only lay 2 at a time)

This is how many eggs there are after the last baby...
(pardon the poos and the lack of hay. Doves are pretty dumb when it comes to nests -o_O - they put hay pieces in and take them right back out)

upload_2019-7-23_9-42-38.png

Supposedly, you need a pair of Zebra's to sit the eggs as they are supposed to be better parents. Can't believe everything you read as my Gouldians seem to be very good breeders. I only had male Zebras the last 10 years as we didn't want a "flock". Still thinking about Owl Finches but with 5 extra Gouldians, probably not. We used a closed in nesting box instead of the open one you show.

Owl finches are really cute. :)

My finches have a closed nest too:
upload_2019-7-24_10-26-11.png

But I've seen the finches go into the open nest. I wonder if any of the eggs are theirs. This morning I caught one of the finches in the open nest with a pair of doves!
Tried to snap a photo but couldn't get a good one before he flew out. You can see his black beak on the right side...
upload_2019-7-24_10-29-23.png

They are all so goofy!! It's what make them fun to have.:p

Latest posts

Back