My baby diamond dove

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Blue eyes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They must've been very well taken care of.:) Gouldian's are supposed to be difficult to breed I heard.
I've been hoping my Parson's Finch would breed. They lay eggs all the time and sit on them but none have hatched.

The diamond doves keep sitting on a pile of eggs. Only one hatches at a time. I know many of those eggs are not viable but don't know which ones -- so I just leave them in there. (doves only lay 2 at a time)

This is how many eggs there are after the last baby...
(pardon the poos and the lack of hay. Doves are pretty dumb when it comes to nests -o_O - they put hay pieces in and take them right back out)

upload_2019-7-23_9-42-38.png

Nancy McClelland

Larry
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, you need a pair of Zebra's to sit the eggs as they are supposed to be better parents. Can't believe everything you read as my Gouldians seem to be very good breeders. I only had male Zebras the last 10 years as we didn't want a "flock". Still thinking about Owl Finches but with 5 extra Gouldians, probably not. We used a closed in nesting box instead of the open one you show.

Blue eyes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owl finches are really cute. :)

My finches have a closed nest too:
upload_2019-7-24_10-26-11.png

But I've seen the finches go into the open nest. I wonder if any of the eggs are theirs. This morning I caught one of the finches in the open nest with a pair of doves!
Tried to snap a photo but couldn't get a good one before he flew out. You can see his black beak on the right side...
upload_2019-7-24_10-29-23.png

They are all so goofy!! It's what make them fun to have.:p

Nancy McClelland

Larry
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to do "candling" with the chickens to see if their eggs were viable--a light source in a box with a hole you could hold the egg up to and see some of the stuff inside of it. Maybe try google cause that's a 6 decade old memory.