My baby bunny isn't pooping ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David.S

Reaction score
Hello i was wondering if someone could help me and give me some advice. My bunny eats and drinks but just doesn't poop I've see it pee a couple of times but not poop thank you and hope to hear from you soon

Hi - I had a three week old bunny that did that. It scared me. Take it to a vet immediately and they will likely give you something called Critical Care, which is a green, mushy substance extremely high in fiber that you can syringe into your rabbit. My baby bunny (a lionhead) began pooping immediately after giving her the Critical Care and didn't stop pooping after that! Go fast. It's urgent that they poo.

Hi - I had a three week old bunny that did that. It scared me. Take it to a vet immediately and they will likely give you something called Critical Care, which is a green, mushy substance extremely high in fiber that you can syringe into your rabbit. My baby bunny (a lionhead) began pooping immediately after giving her the Critical Care and didn't stop pooping after that! Go fast. It's urgent that they poo.
I also forgot to mention that the baby is wild i had to take him from the nest cuz he was the only one still alive does that have anything to do with it ??

Also can u give me a estimate of how much it would cost to take it to the vet? And is there any other ways to help it use the restroom? Thanks

Also can u give me a estimate of how much it would cost to take it to the vet? And is there any other ways to help it use the restroom? Thanks

I don't know. The vets around here might charge you about $40 for the vet visit, and then the cost of the Critical Care. I don't think it's hugely expensive. It doesn't matter if it is a wild bunny, the Critical Care would be very good for it. Try to get it to eat, and it might help too if you can gently rub it's belly in a circular motion for a few minutes and/or stimulate it's anal area with a warm wet wash cloth to hopefully stimulate it to poo. Be extremely gentle and do it for a bit, but not too long. You don't want to irritate the area. Just coax the poop to come out.

I don't know. The vets around here might charge you about $40 for the vet visit, and then the cost of the Critical Care. I don't think it's hugely expensive. It doesn't matter if it is a wild bunny, the Critical Care would be very good for it. Try to get it to eat, and it might help too if you can gently rub it's belly in a circular motion for a few minutes and/or stimulate it's anal area with a warm wet wash cloth to hopefully stimulate it to poo. Be extremely gentle and do it for a bit, but not too long. You don't want to irritate the area. Just coax the poop to come out.
Thank you for all your advice ill let you kbow how it goes thank you soo much

my guess is that the bunny is stressed as hell being taken from the nest... what is he eating? how old is he - covered with fur, body size, eyes open?
I would't mess with the wild bunny. Do you know for sure that he is abandoned?

vets in my area won't see any wild animals. It may be even illegal to keep him, unless you are a licenced wild rehabber

my guess is that the bunny is stressed as hell being taken from the nest... what is he eating? how old is he - covered with fur, body size, eyes open?
I would't mess with the wild bunny. Do you know for sure that he is abandoned?
The bunny is covered with fur its eating carrots and I've been feeding it alfalfa hay but he dont really eat the hay. His eyes are open and his ears are erect and he is jumpy when he hears loud sounds and yes he is abandoned because when i found him there was no sign of the mother and him and one other were the only ones in the nest but unfortunately the other one was dead when i found them

vets in my area won't see any wild animals. It may be even illegal to keep him, unless you are a licenced wild rehabber
I live in new mexico and i checked pretty much all the laws on wild animals and didnt find anything that says i couldnt raise the bunny

A mother rabbit deliberately stays away from the nest -- it is how they help keep predators away. A mother rabbit only visits the babies twice per day and only for a few minutes. It is unlikely the baby was abandoned. Its mother is probably looking for it. The best would be to put it back immediately. (Feeding it carrots probably caused its stomach problem since that is not what it would be getting in the wild. Momma would be showing it what to eat once it is weaned.)

If the rabbit is continuing to eat and drink, then it will likely poop soon. If it had stopped eating at all, this can slow things down and can take several hours for the rabbits gut motility to return to normal. If it doesn't start pooping soon and/or stops eating, there is likely a digestive problem going on, and it could be a potentially serious one like a bowel obstruction. Normally slow gut movement might be treated by a rabbit savvy vet with a gut motility med like metoclopramide or cisapride, meloxicam for pain, sub q fluids, and syringe feeds. A complete bowel obstruction might require surgery by a knowledgeable rabbit vet, and even then the chances are 50/50.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I agree, return it to the nest if possible. If not then I would suggest finding a wildlife rehabber to care for the bunny if at all possible. They will have experience caring for wild rabbits and know what to do. Plus they will have access to the appropriate vet care if needed. If you are going to continue to care for it yourself and it is legal in your state, try reading through this link for info on caring for wild rabbits. There are specific needs and concerns in regards to their health and raising them to eventually return to the wild. In the meantime I would discontinue the carrots and any other high starch/sugar foods as this can be bad for baby rabbits because of their digestion being very prone to digestive upset, with sugars/starches being a primary cause. If this bun is going to be returned to the wild, it needs to be getting foods and forage that it would normally be feeding on as a wild rabbit, such as grasses/hay, dandelions, and other rabbit safe plants and tree leaves. But the best thing is to return it to it's nest if possible or find a rehabber to care for it.
https://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

how long have you had him? If momma came back to the nest a few times and saw it empty, she may not return since she thinks that babies have disappeared.

Latest posts

Back