Musky smell in the room

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Habib

Reaction score
I got my 2 ladies last month, 30th March. They are 4.5yrs age and not spayed. Apparently used by farm (breeding). I adopted them as the farm was closing. THey were groomed and had 'Revolution' given for mites. They were all good but for the past 3 days noticed of musky smell from their home (housed in cage+ playpen). Is the musky smell from the scant gland the rabbits be producing? i am very new to rabbits and as such not sure if need to groom them again. appreciate any advice from fellow rabbits family members here. tnks

I just came on here today to ask this same question! Our bunny is about five months old and suddenly starting producing this scent last week. We clean her cage every day, she is litter trained, etc but the scent comes from her butt! It smells kind of like a skunk or rank marijuana, my hubby calls it Pot Butt. LOL - I chnny ased her around and cleaned her butt with a wet towel but it was very upsetting and traumatizing to her, and she didn't hang out with me for hours afterward. The smell came back only two days later. ...

She is getting spayed (to reduce chance of cancer and help with her bunny puberty) - will this scent decrease after she is spayed?

My 2 ladies were adopted last month 28th from a farm which was closing down due to frequent wild dog attacks. These 2 are ND at 4.5 years each. Checked with vets if possible to spay but the answer is sincethey are already 4.5yrs and given birth before,they not sure how they can cope with anesthesia compared to much younger rabbits. So my dilemma was to send for spaying and if not wake up and not to mention cost of spaying and blood tests against risk. So I decided against it and ensure they can gd life in their remaining years..

Also checked with the farm. They say they had groomed them on the 28th and revolution drips done and also scent gland cleaned. They say it cannot be so soon for the scent gland to form up to smell and the musky smell could be from their poop which use to mark their territory since 2 sharing the same cage

They're hormonal rabbits, they are going to smell a bit because of territorial marking. Only spay/neuter can help reduce that. How much it will help, you can't really know for sure until you've done it. With male rabbits it usually reduces the smell significantly.

The other thing that can cause an increased smell is not cleaning frequently enough, or if there are any pee accidents that get missed and not cleaned up, such as if it gets under the litter box or under flooring. So it would be good to check to make sure that isn't happening.

Changing the litter and washing the cage once in 2 days.. they just keep peeing into the cage floor. Not using the liiter pen at all.

Habib, it may be hard for them to re-train if they have not been litter trained at all, but did you try putting hay INSIDE the litter box, like on the edge? Also, they may each want their own litter box. Try letting them out of their cage, and giving them two litter boxes with CareFresh and a generous portion of hay inside the edge of the box. Perhaps they will be interested in the box if they can eat there and feel that they have their little space to poo, pee and eat. That's how we finally got our bunny to use the litter box! However, she was 10 weeks old at the time, so I don't know if that works if your buns have peed on the floor their entire lives. ...

Our bunny stinks so badly and we are having trouble airing out the house because of allergy season. :( I spend half my life cleaning, sweeping, and we definitely have not missed any pee accidents at all. It's literally emanating from her bum.

Our French Lop is wonderful, kind and gentle but one thing she doesn't like is handling against her will. She will never let us clean her scent glands...the best I could hope for is chasing her with a wet towel and trying to get at the bum area, but it's pretty upsetting to her.

Latest posts

Back