Musings of a Bunny-Mama

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karaliene

Reaction score
I'm going to start a blog, beginning from today, with experiences, dreams, thoughts, ideas, questions and - of course - pictures! I hope this is educational and entertaining for anyone who reads it!

It's time for my first post! And, we're beginning with confession time: I don't actually have my bunnies yet.... oh well! So today's post will be all about the rabbits I'm getting - and the home I'm preparing for them!

I'm adopting for my first rabbits ever. It's a young 'oopsie' mama and her two daughters - all spayed - and apparently they didn't receive much TLC at all from their former owner. So I'll be making that up to them I hope! Their names are:
Bouquet, the mama who is 1 year old. She has black fur around her eyes and is otherwise white, and has blue eyes - they're STUNNING. She is quite friendly.
Begonia, one of the daughters born in Sept. '19 has red (hence her name) eyes and is totally white. She is the most confident and will do anything for treats.
Blossom, the other daughter born at the same time has blue eyes like her Mama, only the ring around them is more brown. She's fairly confident, but not as much as Begonia.

These three cuties will be living in my playhouse - it is 2 rooms, the rabbits will have 45+ square feet. There will also be a small closed off area where I'll have cleaning supplies, food, spare bowls, a watering can, a bin, etc. They will have some little shelves to clamber on and I'm not sure yet whether to build a small shelter or just buy a tiny hutch for them to sleep in. There's no point in a big one. We're going to fit a cat flap leading to an outdoor run which will be a minimum of 15 square feet. It will be on a patio so there's no danger of digging. I will also have a separate playpen, as big as I can find for a reasonable price - if anyone has any recommendations I'll be glad to hear them - which will be on grass. They'll have to be supervised in there, though.

I'm planning on getting a hayrack, tunnels, digging box, litter box, chew toys etc. I'll probably make willow wreaths for them from our (untreated) tree.

I can't wait to meet them, and will share pictures if anyone wants them!

This morning, I ordered most of the supplies I will be needing. Want to know exactly what I got?
Trixie Corner Toilet​
Trixie Hay Manger​
Pet Mate Lockable Cat Flap​
Rosewood Options Mini Gentle Slicker​
Mason Cash Rabbit Food / Water Bowls (x2)​
Rabbit Nail Clippers​
Johnson's Clean'n'Safe Spray​
I hope these will all be okay for the rabbits - I did research them each, read reviews, etc. and I think I've made the right choices! On Saturday, I plan to install an air vent (it gets mighty hot in there, so I've been working on ventilation) along with the cat-flap, lino flooring (if it arrives on time, I'm still hoping) and a partition for my storage area.

I am getting more and more excited every day - suddenly it's only a week or three until I can get my bunnies...!

Sounds great! Just some thoughts - go as big as you can for the outdoor area they can access from the playhouse. An aviary would be better than a run. Have a look at Runaround systems for safe playpens you can move around on the lawn: Runs, hutches, rabbit and guinea housing with freedom and flexibility Shame you ordered already - corner litter trays are too small. Especially as you will have three bunnies, what you need is at least one, preferably two very large underbed storage boxes. I'm not a fan of hay racks, most are dangerous and/or bunnies find it hard to get hay out which makes them eat less hay than they should. You are likely to find that if you put hay in the corner of the litter trays, away from the wall, bunnies will toilet in the non-hay area. Enjoy your new babies!

Sounds great! Just some thoughts - go as big as you can for the outdoor area they can access from the playhouse. An aviary would be better than a run. Have a look at Runaround systems for safe playpens you can move around on the lawn: Runs, hutches, rabbit and guinea housing with freedom and flexibility Shame you ordered already - corner litter trays are too small. Especially as you will have three bunnies, what you need is at least one, preferably two very large underbed storage boxes. I'm not a fan of hay racks, most are dangerous and/or bunnies find it hard to get hay out which makes them eat less hay than they should. You are likely to find that if you put hay in the corner of the litter trays, away from the wall, bunnies will toilet in the non-hay area. Enjoy your new babies!
Thanks for the tips and ideas! I've got some storage boxes anyway which could be used if the bunnies don't take to the corner one. The outdoor area is as big as I can without running onto the grass, and as the run has no wire bottom I can't have them on grass (digging risks!) but I do have a playpen setup for when I'm supervising them. The hay rack will be right next to the litter tray and I plan on leaving it in other areas too in chew toys etc. I sure will enjoy them, I can't wait to meet them!
I'm adopting from Burrowed Hearts Rescue, if that helps.

How awesome Karaliene! Haha, that week or 3 goes slow huh?
It does! Well, today I repainted some scuffed patches inside the playhouse (pet safe paint!) and have done the first of two coats of sealant on the floor (we decided not to try lino yet as we haven't found a good option which will be delivered soon enough). We've also repaired the only leak, installed an air vent, put up two shelves, and a partition for my storage area...

Also, yesterday and today I have had delivered almost everything on my list a couple of posts above this. The only thing I'm still waiting for is a run, which is due later this evening.

So things are moving quickly! I contacted the rescue again this evening to arrange a date...

Actually, not quite yet. Due to a mixup by Amazon (delivering a dog pen when I ordered a rabbit run!), we've postponed the collection of the rabbits until the 20th of this month. Anyways, here's a progress update...

We've now ordered or had delivered almost everything we will need. Only the food, hay and litter pellets are left to go! The exterior still needs a lick of paint, which we hope to get done by this coming weekend. The second coat of sealant is done and dusted, so it's now bunny-teeth-proofed to the best of my ability! We installed a small low shelf which I will be using for grooming, etc. and I've got a scrap of fleece which I will use so the bunnies don't slip.

So that's about it from me - I'm getting more excited every day!

That's amazing! Bouquet, Begonia, and Blossom all sound adorable and amazing. My only suggestion would be on the Trixie Corner Toliet. Corner litter boxes tend to be too small and rabbits often pee over the side. I would suggest getting a larger litter box, especially since you are rescuing three rabbits. You could get a hooded one, or one with large sides so no pee is spilled. However, it's up to you! Have a great day and I can't wait to see pictures of the bunnies!

Link to example litterbox - https://www.amazon.com/42036-Hammer...548&sprefix=rabbit+large+litter+,aps,169&sr=8

I know someone already mentioned the litter boxes, I just wanted to give my input!

Best wishes ~
Remy

I wanted to start today's post with a thank-you to @Diane R, @hasek39, @OreoTheMiniLop, and last but not least, @Remy The Rabbit. Thanks for your input so far, your tips will be valued! I think, regarding the litter box, that I'll try out the one I have first, and if it's not good enough - why then, I can get something else!

Well, the 20th has been confirmed now! So - if Amazon will hurry up and send me my run this time - I've got nine days to wait. Almost everything is prepared now, so it's a waiting game from here on. Waiting for the arrival of a big haybale, a 10kg bag of Burgess Excel Rabbit Nuggets (with mint) and litter pellets... and waiting for the run, of course...
... and waiting for the rabbits!
Nine days seems like forever, but I'm pretty sure it'll pass soon!

Today is the first day I've had bad news. After trying to contact Amazon multiple times, they have finally come back to me, saying that they've had an update on the shipping of my replacement run...

...and it's due in the middle of July...

This is a setback I hadn't foreseen - and, if I'm to be honest, I feel rather irked at the way Amazon has handled the whole thing. However, complaining's not going to help, so I think I'll be canceling the order and investigating other runs. Hopefully, I'll find one. If not? Well, I'll still go ahead and get the rabbits, only they'll be missing about a quarter of their space until the run decides to arrive. If anyone happens to have recommendations, I'll be thankful to hear them!

Today is the first day I've had bad news. After trying to contact Amazon multiple times, they have finally come back to me, saying that they've had an update on the shipping of my replacement run...

...and it's due in the middle of July...

This is a setback I hadn't foreseen - and, if I'm to be honest, I feel rather irked at the way Amazon has handled the whole thing. However, complaining's not going to help, so I think I'll be canceling the order and investigating other runs. Hopefully, I'll find one. If not? Well, I'll still go ahead and get the rabbits, only they'll be missing about a quarter of their space until the run decides to arrive. If anyone happens to have recommendations, I'll be thankful to hear them!
Sorry to hear that. Do look into Runaround, ideal for your situation.

So we've found a way to make a run, instead! And in fact, that's why I've missed a couple of days with the posts, it's sure kept me busy. That and the fact that my darling Pekin hen, Tillie, has just hatched 8 chicks, and another one, Tansy is within a day or two of hatching!

Well, in 57 hours, according to my calculations, I should be having my rabbits!

Yay!!!! I can't wait to see them!
Me neither! It's so very exciting! The final preparations are pretty much complete - in fact, the only thing left is to put up the hay rack. It's really exciting, and yes - I have already said that, but I'm practically bubbling over. It has been so long!

Latest posts

Back