Musical Instruments - Advice keyboard/guitar

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
One of the things I am really hoping to do is get back into music. I sing so I would like something that I could combine with that. I was thinking of either the keyboard or the acoustic guitar. I know playing the keyboard is quite handy but I just love the sound of the guitar... I've had my eye set on a guitar for a long time but also wanted to learn the piano. Is one easier than the other?I've never had lessons in either (except a few weeks learning a bit about the keyboard) but with so much being available online I was hoping I could pick up on one or the other relatively well. I do have a good ear from what I've been told by my college teachers but I haven't a clue. Lol.

- Which would you choose and why?

- How much would you spend on a basickeyboard? What accessories would you get?

- How much would you spend on a basic guitar? Accessories? Do you have any model suggestions?

:)

Thank you in advance!

I play keyboard...my hubby plays guitar/bass. I spent about 200dollars on my keyboard...plus had to buy the stand and bench for it. I think we spent about 200 for my hubby's guitar and same for his bass. I love playing Keyboard. I started playing Organ at the age of 4 y/o. So now at 40 I've been playing along time. I'm not a professional by any means but its very relaxing for me. Also either instrument you can get books that have a dvd in them for your computer which will help you learn.

Speaking as a Gr.8 RCM pianist, I love my piano.
Love it to bits.
The sound is gorgeous, and I can pick up a bit of spare cash accompanying people, weddings, funerals, etc.
However, if you think you'd like to play music at parties and weddings & campfires, etc., guitar is far more portable. Keyboards need electrical plug ins, generators, etc. I've done a few weddings out in the wilderness, and a guitar would have been better/simpler.

Guitar also makes up the basis of most popular music right now. When selecting sheet music, I know that 90% of everything written before 1980 sounds amazing on the piano.
Current rock, pop, since 1980 is more synthesized sound, drums and guitar. Maybe 50% of current popular music sounds decent on my piano (as it is written in sheet music).
Jazz, Classical, Adult Contemporary, country, some pop, R&B, sounds good on piano.
Piano rock exists (billy Joel, Ben Folds 5, etc.).

Here's the main question: What kind of music do you like to listen to/would like to sing/play?
Maybe go through a list of what music you'd like to make, inspiring bands/singers, and listen for the dominant instrument?

Hmm yes that is something to think about. I'm mainly planning on it being just a hobby at this time. However, a fellow music classmate I keep in touch with mentionned the portability factor and that kind of has a nice sound to it. I'm thinking maybe at some point I could sit by the lake with it if I could find a quiet spot.

I would love to combine singing with the instrument. I do realize that it would probably take a lot of time before I can but anyway, I'd still love it if I could at some point.

As for music, hehehe I like so many kinds. To be honest though, now that you mention it, I could probably do quite well with country so that would definitely put guitar on top. I love classical, country, pop, rock, jazz, etc.

I saw some guitars for about 50 on Amazon and thought maybe they would be good to start off with and see how I do and then go from there. They seem to be getting good enough reviews. I saw a Yamaha one for about 100$ with dvd, case, stand, tuner, etc. I think that sounds pretty decent... Since it would be my first time really learning an instrument, I'd rather not spend too much right away and really see howI take to it.

Music is a passion though and it's way time I do something about it. It's a big step for me because I had pretty much completely shut music out of mylife (well not listening to it)after being forced to withdraw from college. I'm pretty excited about learning again. Maybe I'll just get it all. :p

Thanks for the input!

That's true. I'll look but I can't say I would really want second hand... I don't know how to explain it. I'm cool with second hand for some things but not for others and I guess this is one of them. Lol. I guess there is something very personal about an instrument, even if it's a cheap one. :pThe moreI think of it, the more I think I will go with the guitar. As for the lessons, I don't really have the time to go right now because I am doing my dutch lessons so I will probably just self-teach with the help of online things, books, dvds, etc. but thank you for looking! :biggrin:

Thanks guys. I think I will get the guitar first but get a keyboard as well soon after. I think the keyboard might be better for learning music theory and I still have my college books which I want to take out so that would help.

As for the guitar, I found a yamaha starter kit which includes the stand, tuner, dvd, picks, guitar etc. for about 100$ It's got really good reviews so that seems like a good enough one to get started with.

I hope it will be what I hope for. Hehe. :)

I bought a keyboard nearly two years ago because I have always wanted to play piano, so I bought one where it teaches you songs.

I paid something like $200 for my keyboard. The only accessories I guess you could call it was the stand.

Latest posts

Back