Mushrooms?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluMagic

Reaction score
I think I might have found the cause of death with a few past rabbits including George and Gracie. What can you tell me about rabbits being near mushrooms?

I've heard there are some kinds of mushrooms that are ok for rabbits, but I've never been able to find enough info for safe/not safe kinds so I tend to steer clear of them.

I have read that it is very possible for bunnies to eat wild mushrooms by accident even if they're toxic. For example, if they're left to run around outside unsupervised. But if they are, it is possible for them to get into other plants that are toxic to rabbits.

Here's a list of the toxic plants from the house rabbit society in case you haven't seen it before :).

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html

I searched around the yard after losing my bunnies and found wild white mushrooms. i have had rabbits die around the same area. could this be the issue???

Are they edible white mushrooms? It sounds quite possible. Do your buns have access to these mushrooms? You could try looking up pictures of wild white mushrooms online to see if you find a match and whether they're a poisonoud variety. Most wild mushrooms are not safe to eat. Only some are.

I've not seen mushrooms on a safe list for rabbits, so, while that means that they're just not recommeneded or are poisonous, I don't know. I would keep them away from them in all cases, just to be safe.

Argh... I've read somewhere before, back when we first got rabbits, about mushrooms in the garden. It said to always make sure that there weren't any when you put bunnies out to play, as they can be piosonous to rabbits...

I WISH I could find this info now, but I can't remember where I saw it!

I always do a quick 'sweep' of the lawn when I get the buns out there, just to make sure that there's no mushrooms, or anything else for that matter.... :?

I'll have another look for that article!

mouse_chalk wrote:
Argh... I've read somewhere before, back when we first got rabbits, about mushrooms in the garden. It said to always make sure that there weren't any when you put bunnies out to play, as they can be piosonous to rabbits...

I WISH I could find this info now, but I can't remember where I saw it!

I always do a quick 'sweep' of the lawn when I get the buns out there, just to make sure that there's no mushrooms, or anything else for that matter.... :?

I'll have another look for that article!
Yeah Jen, I remember reading an article somewhere about mushrooms being poisonous, but I couldn't find it.

BluMagic - years ago Pernod got sick, and very nearly died. She was in hospital for 3 days on a drip, and the vet said it was something toxic she'd eaten. The only thing I could find were mushrooms in the garden. Since then, I've always made sure there are never any around where my rabbits are.

Jan

Latest posts

Back