Mucus on poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar0

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried adding a little bit of his new food in with his old food and noticed that his poop started changing, they became larger, glossy and some had mucus on them. He also picks out his old food and tries to avoid eating his new food. I just watched him eat hay too. What does his mean?

IMG_1521086287.698973.jpg

There could be something wrong with the new food. What is the new food that you are trying to switch him to and what is the old food?

There could be something wrong with the new food. What is the new food that you are trying to switch him to and what is the old food?

I'm switching him to a brand called kaytee, the brand they fed him neutrina and purina which is a brand I could not find anywhere.

Kaytee has numerous versions of their rabbit food. What does your bag say? For example the fiesta mix is not good while the timothy complete isn't too bad.

If it's the Kaytee with the colorful bits or seeds in it, that could be your problem as they can add too many carbs in the diet. Or it could be that the feed is contaminated in some way(which can be very bad) and it's causing the digestive upset.

I would suggest trying a different feed that is just plain pellets. There are other pet store brands out there like Oxbow, Sherwood, etc. Or you could find the brand of the old pellets and get those. Nutrena and Purina are bulk rabbit feeds sold at livestock feed stores. They aren't as high quality as some of the pet store brands, and you usually have to buy a 20 or 40 lb bag, but it sounds like they would be a better option than the kaytee if you can't get or afford the better pet store brands, and if the kaytee pellets are the cause of the digestive issues you are seeing.

If you happen to have started a new bag or bale of hay, you'll want to check to make sure it's not spoiled and the cause of the digestive issues instead of the new kaytee pellets.

If it's the Kaytee with the colorful bits or seeds in it, that could be your problem as they can add too many carbs in the diet. Or it could be that the feed is contaminated in some way(which can be very bad) and it's causing the digestive upset.

I would suggest trying a different feed that is just plain pellets. There are other pet store brands out there like Oxbow, Sherwood, etc. Or you could find the brand of the old pellets and get those. Nutrena and Purina are bulk rabbit feeds sold at livestock feed stores. They aren't as high quality as some of the pet store brands, and you usually have to buy a 20 or 40 lb bag, but it sounds like they would be a better option than the kaytee if you can't get or afford the better pet store brands, and if the kaytee pellets are the cause of the digestive issues you are seeing.

If you happen to have started a new bag or bale of hay, you'll want to check to make sure it's not spoiled and the cause of the digestive issues instead of the new kaytee pellets.

I got the Timothy pellets, I don't know if Kaytee is a good brand so I ordered Sherwood pellets, maybe that would be easier for him to transition.

I never heard of the Kaytee brand but Sherwood is good. Keep a close eye on your rabbit's poop - as long as the rabbit is eating and the mucus is clearing it's fine, but if you see anything abnormal, don't hesitate to take him to a vet. Rabbits' guts are sensitive and a small problem can evolve towards stasis pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Back