'Mr. McGregor's gotta have it!!' YIKES!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yo

Reaction score
HI!

We're new to the bunny world, just had one since a few weeks ago. But we love him and are learning new things about him all the time. And lots from this web site.

Forgive my ignorance but what can be done for a fixed male who's 'got to have it!' It's like he's in heat, although I just read a post that said they don't go in 'heat'. :?

Today is his 3rd day of trying to mount our Maltese who is getting pretty tired of it. Doesn't like getting bit on his back while McGregor is trying to fulfill his urge.

Any ideas on how we can help him out, aside from getting another bunny?!!
How long will he go through this, any ideas?

He's just not his sweet self. Instead he is chopping at the cage and following us all around to see whose leg he can attach himself to! :coolness:

Oh, and is this cyclical, bound to happen each year, or season? Or could it be something I gave him? I know that sounds dumb but in my ignorance I'm trying to question everything. We gave him a cold tube since it's been getting hot, although I've yet to see him mount that. And we did start trying Timothy hay instead of the garden 'whatever' type. Could that have struck something in him, like catnip? O.k., I know I must sound crazy but I'm trying everything I know to try.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Oh, I just thought of something! Let me know what you think.

What do you think if we got a 'friend' for him, a stuffed animal, and put it in his cage to let him release?

yes? no?

Are you 100% sure you have a neutered male?
Rabbits can be hard to sex, so the previous owner might have thought it was a neutered male when it is a female. Depending on age (under 4 months), it could just be a young male that has not developed yet and is now getting hormonal. An intact (not neutered) male will have 2 testicles on either side of then gentiles, they should be pretty obvious when you flip him over.

Neutered males typically don't go around humping everything in sight.

I would suggest getting him checked by a vet to properly sex him and see what may be up with him.

Get him neutered if he isn't already. That could make a huge difference in itself. Ripley does this but be glad: at least Mr. Mcgregor goes for your dog and not your arm. Yeah, Ripley's pretty bad. :p

Yikes indeed. It really doen't sound like he's neutered. If he is, yikes haha. Harvey was like this with my cats before he got neutered. I tried correcting the behavior and it really just got worse until he was neutered. So it might be hard to correct it.

I should have gave more info, like the person who gave him to us said he was neutered so I believed it. They said he is a little over a year.

When this started happening I began to wonder if he really wasn't neutered, I just don't know why she would say so. He was free so it wasn't a 'selling' point :)

I'll see if I can get hubby to help me check under the hood with McGregor. If he's anything like our Maltese Masen, he'll occasionally get excited even though he's fixed.

And you know, we've had him for 1 month and this is the first time he's behaved uncontrollably. Does anyone know how long this will last before it passes? We let him out a bit but then he's all over whoever is nearby. ugh. So he ends up back in his house, and we don't want that. We want ol' 'Gregor back.

And thanks SO MUCH for the help!!!

hahaha yes do check under the hood XD I love that. Bunny balls are pretty easy to spot if they are still there.

Ohhh hmmmmm. I dunno if it'll past to be honest. Maybe someone with intact males might be able to help you there. Harvey didn't stop until he got neutered. He kept humping the cats to the point I was afraid he'd get bit or something.

It honestly sounds like he isn't neutered. It is possible the vet missed some tissue. When you are checking, remember that bunny bits are in front of the penis, not behind like in dogs and cats. The bumps are more flat against their bellies.

My male humped his wife, his stuffy, the cat, my slippers etc. before he was neutered. It never stopped and was driving us all nuts! Now on occasion he will hump his wife briefly, but hasn't bothered anything else.

If it turns out he has been neutered fully and still having this issue, I would try to make him feel more secure because it can also be a dominance issue. It honestly sounds hormonal to me though.

Well, FWIW, on Friday we were at DEFCON 3.5.

Sat. he fluctuated between DEF 3.5-3. We were thrilled!

Today he's still got the hankerin but it's more tolerable.

We'll be taking him to the shop and 'getim' done'!

I appreciate all the input. It helped so much!!

Latest posts

Back