Moving with a bonded pair, need pointers.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
Hi!
Starting tomorrow, we're going to be moving back into our winter residence, the unimaginably small and crammed apartment, until next summer roams around. As such, i need pointers to safely move with my royal pair without them flicking eachother off. I do have a travel carrier, a size 2 gulliver crate, they fit in there, enough to be uncomfortably close in cuddles. It wouldn't be a ride longer than 7 min anyway, and they's be the last to move. Besides, mum broke the larger one and i don't want to spend 30€ getting it again when the medium one works acceptably well.
Now Storm has been in the apartment before, from last season, and his area there hasn't changed. We cannot expand it in any direction or we wouldn't be able to access any of the limited storage spaces. It is ridiculously small when compared to the enclosure he shares with his queen (not even a fourth of its size). Last i remembered, he is able to make three-four hops and then one into the toilet, and only 2 the other way. I cannot imagine him nicely fitting there with Iris, but considering that the whole apartment's free floor space is only about three condos' worth of space, well.... Things aren't looking great. I could try partial freeroam with those two, but my bed, the couch, any shelves under a meter in height, and the tiny bits of wallpaper in most obscure corners that he's bent on destroying makes freeroaming hard. We also cannot have a random fence splitting the room in half. The dude will just jump 80cm out of curiousity to see what's on the tv table, and i value my sleep, wouldn't want him nipping my sleeping face. Also, pee puddles in between bed and curtain are the worst occurrences yet.
So, these two will have to survive being forced into extreme close proximity for a long while. It will be an eyesore for me to see them smushed up in that miserably small space but i don't want to rush with letting them roam and get into a territory dispute.

Is there any way i can increase the chances of them not getting territorial with the space and unbonding?
When would be optimal to let them out into the main room to get some more space?
Does anyone have tips on how to make my bed Storm-proof? Or at least silenter? Now i won't mind the digging and all, i'll just snooze under a double duvet, but parents claim that they're unable to sleep bc of it.
How do i prevent him from getting on the shelves and knocking everything down? We cannot exactly throw out the other couchbed for that, and those particular shelves are doorless...

Even though Storm has been there, it's been a while and really is going to be new territory. I would be really surprised if he was able to show he remembered it. I would just start with their small area and gradually expand. You'll get a better feel for how fast to move things, as you observe their reactions. You may be able to very quickly open them up to the whole area. I'm inclined to think that they are going to be more interested in looking to each other for comfort than anything else.

As for the bed and shelves, I would wait to see how it goes first. Who knows, maybe you'll luck out and they won't get into mischief :p

I know for a fact that my bed is irresistible to him. From the time that he was alone, with Lümi, alone again and continuing now with Iris, he's always been amused with digging my bed.
I thought that it was because of the duvet, placed it on the floor, but he came back up to dig, so i also gave him the sheets but he would still come back onto the bed. So i thought that he just wanted to dig. Dedicated a whole other blanket for him, made a cardboard digging mat and gently discouraged him from my bed, but nope. He would still come back to dig. For some reason, he just didn't care aboht the digging toys. He never minds if any other people sleep under the covers, so he has nipped me unintentionally. So no matter what, i know for a fact that my bed needs additional Storm-proofing.
I know that digging is an instinct from burrowing, and he was probably also bored, but why does he nip the blankets and sheets?
Monkey see, monkey do, Iris will also dig at the bed. More often than not, she'll come dig when Storm is already there. Though she digs a little bit differently-she will scrape some blanket under her and then box-push it out again, it looks like people pounding bread dough. She's the first to do it that way. Why?

Indeed, Storm has discovered that my bed is still in perfectly diggable condition. Iris has discovered that living here is pretty much the same as long as Storm is around. They roam the main room during the day and seem to have no issues in the small enclosure at nighttime.
Iris didn't even have much of an issue getting all her nails trimmed today. Storm was a good sir as well, we got his rear paws' main claws. He has pretty dark, fat, off-white nails compared to Iris's dainty little semi-transparent ones. It is significantly harder to see where his quick is, if the sun isn't shining on it. But press-press-clip method works equally well. He has something that i would describe as a dead hard ring of skin at the base of his claws. These rings come off when i pick at them, and underneath is a nice nail surface. He seems to be discomforted by it. Maybe that's part of the reason he hates having his nails trimmed?
I also managed to find a small grey-butt tick from the corner of his eye. Lucky that i didn't mistake it for an eye boogie. Took it off with tweezers and burnt that thing. Couple days earlier found one from his ear, that one left its head in and i couldn't get it out. But that area seems to be fine.

Him nipping the blankets and sheets could be him wanting to move them out of the way, or he just likes messing with them cause he knows they're yours and it's your bed, and he's trying to be bossy. If it's when you're under the covers, he maybe doesn't like you getting covered up with them.

What Iris is doing is more simulated burrow digging. So they dig to move the 'dirt' under their butt, then turn around and do this snowplow push to move the 'dirt' out of the burrow. When they do the forward push with a blanket or sheet, it looks like they're trying to smooth the blanket out.

With your bed, all that can be done is cover it with something you don't mind being chewed and ruined, block off your bed so they can't get up, or assert your dominance and consistently and safely, shoo them off the bed when they try and get up, to claim it as your territory.

Latest posts

Back