Moving to NC--need rental advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
I will be moving to the research triangle area and I would like to know what kind of attitudes I may encounter from landlords with regards to rabbits. For instance, will a property that typically allows dogs and/or cats also usually allow rabbits? In Madison, they are thought of like cats--you pay an additional monthly fee and maybe extra deposit. Any advice/experience?

That's a good question. I'd imagine that would depend on the landlord. Some may view a rabbit as a caged pet like a guinea pig or rodent. They may not be aware that bunnies are let out of their cage.

I would think that a place that allows dogs or cats would allow bunnies. From my experience most places that do not allow pets do not due to potential destruction of property or due to potential mess such as dog waste throughout the area. If they charge extra to financially cover these possible issues then it is possible they would also charge extra to keep a bun.

I am not familiar with the area. It seems to me that some areas are more excepting of pets than others. I lived in the northeast for years and never came across a rental that allowed pets. I am now in the south and it is more accepted here.

Pet deposits are often required for dogs or cats. However, if they view rabbits like a hamster, they may not require a deposit. (Of course if bunny chews baseboards or something, they may charge you for it when you move out.)

It may depend on how you present it. Many are ignorant of rabbits and assume they sit in a closed cage all day and have no potential for doing any damage. Private landlords (as opposed to a management company) are probably more likely to be receptive.

Well if the rabbit chews on the base boards that come out of your security deposit! haha. Normally you don't get pet deposits back anyway.

I lived in Charlotte for most of my life, just a few hours away from where you'll be. And a lot of it depends on the landlord. Most apartments have a pet deposit and most have monthly pet rent now, for cats and dogs. And there are a lot of newer places now that don't allow animals at all. BUT as Blue Eye's said, MOST people are pretty ignorant to rabbits and think they stay in a cage all the time...so tell them they stay in a cage. When you call and ask if they allow animals, tell them you have a rabbit and if they ask if its caged all the time, you say yes! That makes it easier than having to explain that its litter trained and blah blah.
BUT just make sure that if your buns do do any damage you get it fixed before you move out! Or stop it before it gets too bad. Like if he does chew on the baseboards, paint that sucker over.

In this general area, I would say the further out of town you get the better chance of being allowed pets you have. I'm not saying live in the boondocks, but on the outskirts you might be able to find a nice house with a nice owner who will let you have the buns and whatever other pets you may have. Also the quality of house will depend on the animals allowed inside. So if you're looking at a super nice brand new apartment, then no way are they going to allow pets. If you're looking at an older home that maybe needs to be painted, your odds are better for being allowed the pets.

Also most of the time here, people will put on the rental signs, pets or no pets. A lot of times it will be like no dogs only cats. But you have to take into consideration again, that most people don't think of rabbits as pets, they're food or clothes. So when you say "oh, I have a house rabbit" expect people to be like, oh well that must be a boring pet. Just go with it! haha. I know when I tell people I have a house rabbit they're like "oh, what? you gonna eat it?" If you've never lived in the south, then welcome to it. But where you'll be you probably won't have silly questions like that, you'll have nice educated people to surround you...not the bumpkins like what are around me. hahah.

In summary of my ramblings, I would just make it as simple as possible for everyone to understand about the rabbit. It stays in a cage, doesn't make a mess, no noise. Then whatever you do in your own house is up to you, and we know you aren't leaving you bun in the cage all the time.

ORRRR! If you get a house you could tell the landlord that it will stay in a cage in the backyard. Because a lot of renters ask that the dogs be outside or the cats be outside. Or if it has a garage say it will go in the garage. But then again, do whatever you want in your house.

I would just fib about the rabbits lifestyle and at least they know you have one!

Thanks guys. The one rental company I've been in contact with seems to have had bad experiences, so they charge an extra fee. I'll be looking around some more but I'm pretty restricted to large rental companies because I don't know the area and larger complexes in some areas seem to be safer. I'd love to rent a house but I would have a hard time finding an ok neighborhood... looking in Durham, BTW.

It's always difficult moving to an unfamiliar area. The locals are the ones who know the "better" areas from the ones you want to avoid.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Each rental company is different- I know when we rented our first apartment in Charlotte we were told if it sleeps in a cage, its considered a caged animal. We got away with ferrets, rabbits, rats and snakes under that logic (NOT in the same room LOL the snakes had a whole seperate bedroom from the furry kids) and whenever we had an inspection we just made sure that all the kids were in their cages and there was no evidence of outside playtime (playpens, litter boxes, toys and tunnels were all packed away). The snakes were really easy because I had a snake rack that looked like a simple storage rack if you didnt know what to look for.

The second place we went to was totally different, and considered anything other then dogs and cats "exotics" and were not allowed. Specifically mentioned were "rodents" (mice, hamsters, rats, guinea pigs, ferrets and rabbits....try explaining they arent RODENTS) and reptiles. Needless to say we ended up not renting from them and just purchased a house.

Just check the lease and see what it says! Welcome to NC!!!!

I had an apartment near Rex when I first moved to Raleigh and had to pay a pet deposit, but no extra on the rent. I had two bunnies and they laid waste to the base boards, but I hired a painter to come in and completely paint them (think it was $50.00) and had no problems getting my pet deposit back.

Welcome to NC!

ps - If you need to be near Durham, consider Brier Creek just inside the Wake County line on 70...nice neighborhoods and great shopping and still close to RTP and Durham. Plus, a VERY rabbit savvy vet near by (Avian & Exotic Animal Care)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back