Moving halfway across the country. Travel tips?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blwinteler

Reaction score
My bf and I are moving to Colorado. We are renting a uhaul truck to move our stuff. I have purchased two soft-sided carriers for my buns so that they can fit nicely in the uhaul with us. It is approximately a 12 hour drive. I'm concerned about them pooping and, especially, peeing during the trip. I'm also concerned about whether they should be fed during the drive. What about water? How can I make this trip as comfortable as possible for my two buns and for the two humans all fitting in the cab of a uhaul?

As for the move, I'm super excited, especially for the buns. We are moving onto my family's ranch in Pagosa Springs. It will be considerably cooler than here in Vegas. My buns can go outside and eat fresh timothy grass and flowers and such. I'm going to get them an x-pen when I get my alimony in the middle of August. Until then, I have harnesses and leashes to keep them safe outside. I know they will enjoy it. It will be a better place for all of us.

Honestly I would suggest ditching the soft sided carriers and get the hard plastic ones.
Put a towel in the bottom. Add lots of hay. Strap their water bottle to the front.
Towel can be changed out when they pee, when youre at a rest stop.
Start getting them used to going in their carriers now with hay and water bottle so its not a shock. You want them comfortable enough ideally.... that they will eat in them and use their water bottle.

My concern on the hard sided ones is fitting them in the uhaul with us. We don't have another vehicle going along.
I will definitely toss some towels in with them. That's a great idea!

I agree I would stick to the hard carriers. And I would make sure you stop every 2-3 hours to make sure they are comfortable and give them a chance to drink some water if they want to. When I first moved with my rabbit (we travel a lot together now) I made sure I took her on a few car journeys that were shorter first, so she is used to the movements and sounds etc. Also make sure they are used to the carrier by giving them access to it now, so it is familiar to them.
Basically what watermelons said

They are both used to the carriers. Especially Buggs, as he goes to the vet monthly.
Will two hard carriers fit in a uhaul with two people?
We'll definitely stop often. I have fibromyalgia and can't sit in the car long as it is.

I would get a larger hard carrier that they can go in together if they are bonded? As they can comfort each other through the stress.

Get the biggest hard carrier that will fit--they can be stacked. Forget the towel and get a pan you can fill with hay--they can sit , eat, do their business and it's easily cleaned out and refilled. They will also need water, so hang bottles. Good luck.

When we traveled with our rabbits, for longer trips, I put the wood stove pellets down in the back end of the carrier, put a folded towel for traction on the other 2/3rds of the carrier, and added hay. I have never seen my rabbits attempt to drink while travelling. Nor have I seen them drink when we stopped for breaks.

I think they actually get more stressed with each stop and find it is better to have as few stops as possible. They get accustomed to the hum and steady driving of the car. Stopping someplace unfamiliar with unfamiliar smells and sounds gets them off their game and stressed about what is happening.

If they are already bonded, I agree with others. It is important to keep them together in the same carrier IF they are bonded -- otherwise, their bond could suffer.

I had to keep them separate because of the infection in Buggs' jaw. But they did well, even drank some water on the trip. They love their new home. They got to be outside on leashes yesterday where there is timothy grass and a variety of flowers. They were excited once they figured out they could run around. Buggs has used the harness and leash before, so he caught on a bit faster. Groucho took a minute, but then he ran around so much he wore himself out and had to take a rest in the grass! He even let me pet him while he rested, which he NEVER does. Then, he ran around some more. It was adorable.

Latest posts

Back